We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

camping and walking

Sunny Bolton
Level Contributor
119 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
camping and walking

Hello me and a small number of my friends are looking to go camping in scotland in late july, we plan to walk and camp for about 5 nights, is there any trails that people could reccommend, we would be looking not to come across any built up areas just the lovely wilderness, we are all fit and healthy, all suggestion would be gratefully recieved, thanks you very much

Paz

Glasgow, UK
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: camping and walking

I would recommend the West Highland Way. Beautiful scenery and it can be walked in 5 days.

alyth, scotland
Level Contributor
660 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: camping and walking

try the Cateran trail - round trip 64 miles easy to reach by public transport - train/bus to blairgowrie

www.caterantrail.org

good signposting, not well known (thus mot many other walkers)

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: camping and walking

Hi Paz

There's lots of lovely wilderness up here but you need to select routes that match the level of experience and knowledge you have in the mountains. How's your map reading and navigation skills? If you are good at it then you can develop your own route using OS maps but if you don't fancy that then as others note there are some fine long distance trails.

In addition to those mentioned there's the Great Glen Trail, Speyside Way, Southern Upland Way and others. A web search on the titles offered will give you a good overview, try http://walking.visitscotland.com/walks/

We do have a 'right to roam' law but it is not a charter to walk or camp anywhere. Have a look at ramblers.org.uk/scotland/accessN/index.html

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,181 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: camping and walking

I agree about the West Highland way, but I think 5 days is a bit tight, especailly if you are carrying camping gear and food. Seven days might be more realistic.

Sunny Bolton
Level Contributor
119 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: camping and walking

Thank you all for your kind suggestions, looks like we are now gonna do the wild camp and drive thing, but cheers for all the help

6. Re: camping and walking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 21:16