We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

avon skin so soft as midge repellent

burton on trent
Level Contributor
241 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
avon skin so soft as midge repellent

Hi i have been recommended avon skin so soft as a midge repellent. But there are two kinds pink and blue there is also wash or skin oil. Which do i choose? Is one better than the other or do they all work? thanks in advance.

Boston
Level Contributor
925 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: avon skin so soft as midge repellent

We have the Avon So Soft Bug Guard plus (Picaridin) inspect repellant spray. It has a small orange/yellow label.

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
10,810 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: avon skin so soft as midge repellent

You will get many conflicting answers to this post but my Avon lady tells me that the Avon SSS Dry oil spray(green bottle) does the trick. Can't say yes or no cos not on holiday for another couple of weeks. But a neighbour of ours works outside on the west coast and they all use it over there.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: avon skin so soft as midge repellent

Hmmm.

I was persuaded to buy Avon Skin so soft by an outdoor shop in Kingussie. I don't think it worked.

I have gone back to the chemical formulae using DEET - plus avoidance where possible. I know they are strong chemicals, and would rather not use them, but they do seem to work better.

I seem to recall when my grandfather was alive that his pipe smoke worked pretty well keeping the midges away, but suppose that is another health hazard...

Mentioned in this post
Kingussie
Kingussie
Badenoch and Strathspey, UK
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
37,396 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: avon skin so soft as midge repellent

Wayyy over here in the Colonies, we use the Skin So Soft with the blue cap to keep the noseeums at bay.

Noseeums are the tropical cousins of your midges -- and just as vicious.

I'm told that it's not the chemical itself that makes it a repellant - but that the mechanism of how the little *@#&*@(&!!! bite that is interrupted by the light coating of oil on the skin.

5. Re: avon skin so soft as midge repellent

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 05:34