We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edinburgh to Drumnadrochit - ideas for next week please!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
141 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Edinburgh to Drumnadrochit - ideas for next week please!

We'll be arriving in Edinburgh next Wednesday and drving up to Drumnadrochit on Friday.

Thought we'd go via Pitlochry and Spean Bridge and any advice on the route or 'out of the way' places to stop for lunch would be appreciated.

We'll be in the Cairngorms for a week later in our trip, so thought we'd leave the east side of Loch Ness until then.

Thanks for any suggestions - Jay2000

PS For any fellow Aussie travellers who may be using Frequent Flyer points as we are, you can occasionally change your route - I did only yesterday and we now have a direct flight from Adelaide to Singapore, which means we leave later in the day and it's instead of going via Canberrra and Sydney! I was told that sometimes seats become available nearer the departure date.

Newcastle
Level Contributor
432 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Edinburgh to Drumnadrochit - ideas for next week please!

I always try to stop at the Watermill in Blair Atholl for lunch - also have very tasty homemade muesli. If the weather is nice then a picnic by the river at Dunkeld Cathedral is a very nice way to spend some time.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,500 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Edinburgh to Drumnadrochit - ideas for next week please!

Hi. On the way to Pitlochry, at the Inveralmond roundabout, Perth, just off the A9 is the Caithness Glass Visitor Center. They make beautiful blown glass paper weights. They also sell seconds (which truly I couldn't see any flaws), which are great for gifts. Pitlochry is a lovely town to stop, have lunch and walk about. Places we enjoyed for lunch are Port-Na-Crag Restaurant, Strathgarry Restaurant, or the Moulin Inn. Also in Pitlochry is the Heather Gem Factory. They sell lovely stirling silver and pewter jewellery that has bits of coloured heather stems imbeded in acrylic.

Also, further up the A9 at Blair Atholl is The House of Bruar. There are shops, a good restaurant, where you can also buy food to take along with you (crackers, cheeses, pate, jams etc.)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
141 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Edinburgh to Drumnadrochit - ideas for next week please!

Hello Chrisky - thank you for the suggestions and I agree with you that Caithness glass paperweights are beautiful, and that it's hard to tell what's 'wrong' with the seconds.

I bought some in Wick 15 years ago - and almost lost circulation in my fingers when carrying three of them, (plus a few other weighty items), home!

However, we're not getting up as far as Wick this time and I didn't know they had a visitor centre 'down south', so that'll come in handy - though this time I think I'll have them mailed home!

I had come across the Heather Gem web site - my first name's Heather, so of course I have to go there - but I didn't know about the lunch places, nor The House of Bruar.

Thanks again for all the ideas!

Happy travelling - Jay2000

alyth, scotland
Level Contributor
658 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Edinburgh to Drumnadrochit - ideas for next week please!

sorry tp spoil the day

caithness glass has moved from perth to crieff and the visitor centre is in the process of being closed/new one being built.

you could still do the shopping though

nice route would be to crieff, aberfeldy/loch tay

and then up the A 9 to pitlochry

coffee shop in kenmore is good for lunchstop & gifty things as well as local produce.

on your east side part of the holidays - do stop in Blairgowrie area for some rather good strawberries & raspberries

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
141 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Edinburgh to Drumnadrochit - ideas for next week please!

Oh well, the best laid travel & shopping plans don't always go as we'd hoped!

We'd heard the Crieff area was nice - trouble is, so much of Scotland is that I'd be happy to spend 3 months there, not just 3 weeks.

However, we will look at that route - thank you for the suggestion and of the Kenmore coffee shop AND for advice about Blairgowrie.

All much appreciated - regards, Jay2000

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
141 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Edinburgh to Drumnadrochit - ideas for next week please!

And I almost forgot - thank you Newcastle Max for your suggestions too!

Kind regards, Jay2000

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,500 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Edinburgh to Drumnadrochit - ideas for next week please!

Agree, that drive along the A85 is very scenic. and you could still stop in Pitlochry. Here is a map. (hope it downloads properly.)

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=PH7+4HQ&ie=UTF8&ll=56.367817,-3.850622&spn=0.035654,0.079823&z=14&iwloc=addr

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
141 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Edinburgh to Drumnadrochit - ideas for next week please!

Thank goodness for google maps!

I've been checking out the suggested routes and it's basically between going via Perth or Crieff and whether we miss the highways or not.

However, we are then driving on up to Drumnadrochit for the night, via Spean Bridge, so want to leave enough time to enjoy that too!

So do we allow more time to get to Pitlochry or go there the quickest way to allow more time to get up to Drumnadrochit?

Some routes -

1) Edinburgh to Pitlochry via Perth - on the highways

2) Edinburgh to Pitlochry via Dunning - missing highways and Perth

3) Edinburgh to Crieff, then onto Pitlochry - with highways it'll take us through Stirling, which we've been to before

4) Edinburgh to Crieff, then onto Pitlochry - missing highways it'll take us through Auchterarder

Is Crieff to Pitlochry via Aberfeldy is more scenic than missing Aberfeldy and going via the A9?

Hoping you can help!

Kind regards, Jay2000

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
141 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Edinburgh to Drumnadrochit - ideas for next week please!

And that sentence should have read -

'Is Crieff to Pitlochry via Aberfeldy more scenic than missing Aberfeldy and going via the A9?' - don't know where the extra 'is' came from!

Jay2000

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,500 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Edinburgh to Drumnadrochit - ideas for next week please!

Here's a suggestion. You don't have to go through Stirling. Edinburgh-Dunfermline-Crieff-Amulree-Aberfeldy, A827 to A9, then up to Pitlochry.

Or Edinburgh-Dunfermline-Crieff-Amulree-Dunkeld, then up the A9 to Pitlochry.

In Crieff, there are the Drummond Castle Gardens which were featured in the movie Rob Roy. Also Stuart & Waterford Crystal Outlet on Muthill Road. Good place to eat in Crieff is the Caledonian Bar.