We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent a phone

Alabama
Level Contributor
10 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Rent a phone

My family will be going to Scotland in about three weeks. We want to rent phones so that we can keep in contact. Does anyone have a service/company that you have used and were happy with? I would prefer a service in the UK so that I can have the phone delivered to my hotel and then picked up from there.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,824 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Rent a phone

You can get phones here for as little as ten pounds if you then buy ten pounds worth of top-up. So thats approx 40 dollars each, but including talk/text time.

Many US visitors do this on arrival, and either donate them to charity when finished, or keep them for a future visit or friends future visit. You can just walk into one of the mobile phone shops on the high street and they will get them up and running for you in a matter of minutes. Its so simple.

Orange and carphone warehouse are just two of the many well known names that you'll find on the high street and online.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,477 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Rent a phone

I think you have to pay quite a hefty deposit when you rent a phone and there can sometimes be enormous potential for disputes over the number and duration of calls made and the amount of deposit due back. While I'm sure many of the phone rental companies are above board, it seems to be an area that presents inviting openings for opportunists. Apart from the deposit people sometimes find a connection charge and other odd things added to their bill.

Over the last year or so there has been a lot on the Paris forum about this, with people finding they have paid up to $500 and never got a cent of it back. Just buying a cheap phone seems far more straightforward and is less likely to end in tears.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Rent a phone

I then checked into renting phones for ONE week and they were cheaper than buying phones ($160).

If I still have something wrong, I will humbly accept your information."

Well, I think I and most of the others read your post as that you were on holiday for THREE weeks, not LEAVING in three weeks (which is irrelevant as to what phone you should get after all). And you didnt contradict a poster who pointed out that renting for 3 weeks would be very expensive.

So, I take it you are going for ONE week not three? Well, I'd still buy, as the price is roughly the same and its less hassle - no worries collecting, sending back, deposits, and you also have 4 phones you can keep for the US or sell. If you DO rent, please dont reappear here in 6 weeks complaining that the company you rented the phones from has kept 50% of your deposit because you lost a phone and that's a rip off as you can buy them for £20, etc etc :-)

Have a nice holiday whatever you do, I hope the weather in 3 weeks time is a lot better than it is at the moment.

Alabama
Level Contributor
10 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Rent a phone

Thank you for your warnings about rental companies and what could happen. I like the idea of donating the phones after we leave. That could benefit someone else since we would no longer need the phones.

I look forward to visit of Scotland. My husband has already been there as have some of my friends. They had nothing but praise for their visits.

15. Re: Rent a phone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 04:16