We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yet another question that I know has already been answered..

Homosassa, Florida
Level Contributor
148 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Yet another question that I know has already been answered..

I remember seeing a post a while back about this but I can't find it now, I think it was in someones trip report. It was about restaurants and the difference between what Americans are used to and how they are in the UK. Something was mentioned about when to ask for your check, ordering iced tea and or ice water. This is just another one of those questions that I'm hoping will keep me from looking like an ignorant tourist (maybe it is too late for that).

Thanks again all,

Tannedon

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,411 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yet another question that I know has already been answered..

Not sure what the problem is. I've been in various parts of the States and broadly speaking the procedure's much the same, except that you're only expected to tip half as much in the UK (about 10%, and only if the service is good).

Homosassa, Florida
Level Contributor
148 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yet another question that I know has already been answered..

Not really concerned about the tipping I have already been briefed on that. My concern was that I had read something, I can't remember what, about when to ask for your check at restaurants, something to the effect that they do not generally bring your check until you ask for it I think. Also, that you should not expect iced tea or ask for ice water?

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,411 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yet another question that I know has already been answered..

It's true that the bill is not usually brought to you until you ask for it, unless you've ben there an awful long time and they're dropping a hint. Some places may have iced tea, some not, so it's best to look on the menu. Can't see any problem with asking for water with ice in it, though you might not get quite as much ice as you'd expect in the US.

Russell, Kansas
Level Contributor
586 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yet another question that I know has already been answered..

If you eat in pubs, remember that you have to place your order at the bar and then they will bring it out to you. There are no waiters that go round taking orders. Pub food is generally very filling, relatively cheap and quite tasty.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yet another question that I know has already been answered..

Differences I can think of;

Its likely no one will bring water unless you specifically ask for it. Also, if you just want a jug of tapwater, ask for that otherwise you'll get bottles of mineral water, which cost more.

If you do get water, there probably wont be any ice, unless you ask for it.

If you ask for ice, you'll get a couple of lumps. We don't fill glasses 3/4 full of ice like they do in the US.

If you ask for iced tea its very likely they will have no clue what you are on about.(what is that all about? iced tea? yeccccchhh!)

They will probably know what you mean if you ask for the check, but if you ask for 'the bill' they will know for sure.

In many restaurants until you ask for the bill, or they start to close the place up and want to get rid of you, they wont bring it, they will assume you are content to stay chatting.

And perhaps last, individual portions aren't big enough to feed a family of 4 :-)

Homosassa, Florida
Level Contributor
148 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yet another question that I know has already been answered..

Iced tea is pretty much what we southerners are weaned on, it probably has more to do with the heat here and possibly our intense sweet tooth. Thanks for all your help. All these little things are so helpful to me. Joe that is an interesting new picture you have there.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,761 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yet another question that I know has already been answered..

If you start to get iced tea withdrawal symptoms, fear not for here in Scotland we have heard of it and iced tea is available in individual bottles or 1.5 litre bottles at all good supermarkets. Generally made by Liptons.

I should add that a restaurant will usually be more than happy to serve you with a jug of free iced tap water as a supplement to the drinks you have already purchased. They are sometimes not so keen to serve free tap water if you are not buying drinks, as it cuts into their profit.

If in doubt just watch what others are doing or own up to your rookie status and ask the waiter.

:-)

8. Re: Yet another question that I know has already been answered..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 12:21