We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PUBS with a water view

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
576 posts
Save Topic
PUBS with a water view

Looking for a nice pub with a view over sea\loch\river\canal within an hours drive of Glasgow

ideas please??

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,803 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: PUBS with a water view

The Failford Inn and microbrewery backs onto the river Ayr and if the weather co-operates, the beer garden its a pleasant spot just by the river. Not a huge sweeping vista like you might get with a loch or the sea though, but has the advantage of a good selection of real ales.

http://www.failfordinn.co.uk/index.html

I'd say it was almost exactly an hour's drive.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,803 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: PUBS with a water view

wish there was an edit button!

.....and if the weather co-operates, you can get a nice view from the beer garden. Its a pleasant spot just by the river.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
576 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: PUBS with a water view

no, less than an hour when your thirsty!

thanks!!

Rothesay, United...
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: PUBS with a water view

PC - what about the hotel in Alloway by the road bridge and the old bridge; it's a lovely spot. Is it the Burns Monument Hotel or similar?

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
576 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: PUBS with a water view

thinking about it, there is quite a big looking bup down that way thats called something like the river view ithink - though i recal it stands a bit back from the river

also a bit further on there is what looks like a new pub - named after a burns character or one of his friends?

anyone know these???

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,803 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: PUBS with a water view

You're quite right Buddy, there is a little pub attached to the Brig O'Doon Hotel. Its eons since I was there but I don't think it had as good a view of the river as the attached restaurant or tea rooms. Mind you if you can get down into the garden with your pint that would be heaven. I'm just not certain that you can. Perhaps I should go and find out:-)

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/alloway/alloway/i…

Funnily enough the hotel's website doesn't mention the wee pub:

costley.biz/Brig-ODoon-House-Hotel/Tea-Room-…

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,803 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: PUBS with a water view

That might be the Riverside Inn on the A77 north of Maybole. The other one is Souter Johnnies Inn in Kirloswald a little further south on the A77 and featured in the TA reviews section - its a beauty - no river view though.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
576 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: PUBS with a water view

WATER view is (hopefully) for this evening

headed to wildings in maidens on saturday so will try and make the time for soutar johnnies

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,905 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: PUBS with a water view

What about heading west towards Loch Lomond and Luss which is right on the Loch. Never been to a pub there but the location is good.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,803 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: PUBS with a water view

Ah you probably won't want to be coming down here twice in short succession I guess. I like Wildings very much and have in the past combined it with a walk across the sandy beach (in appropriate footwear of course!) to Culzean Castle's swan pond. Definitely plenty of water for you on that trip, lol.

Have a lovely evening Beeble. I'm just off to slap on slap on more sun lotion.