We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

60th birthday - need hotel!

Glasgow, Uk
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
60th birthday - need hotel!

My mum celebrates her 60th birthday next February and I am tasked with trying to find a suitable hotel for about 12 of us to stay at and have a celebration meal. Requirements are that it is fairly easily reachable from England - so probably Southern Scotland / Borders / East Coast? Ideally near water -and ideally a traditional, characterful type of hotel with a restaurant serving great local food. Not much to ask I know...

My plan was to go to my favourite - The George in Inverary, which combines all the above and more - but sadly they cannot accomodate us.

Does anyone know of anywhere that would be worth looking at - I'd be very grateful for any suggestions.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,074 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 60th birthday - need hotel!

Not sure how Inverary fits into 'southern scotland' remit, but , whatever....

What about somewhere around Loch Lomond like the Lodge on the Loch at Luss? Easy to get to, on water and great food.

Level Contributor
186 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 60th birthday - need hotel!

Here are a few more to google -

The Piersland Lodge in Troon

The Carrick Lodge in Ayr

The Ellisland in Ayr

I can vouch for the food in all three, but haven't stayed in any of them. They're all walking distance to the sea for a bracing February walk!

Yokohama, Japan
Level Contributor
51 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 60th birthday - need hotel!

We had my Mum's 70th at Crieff Hydro. Not near water but traditional, loads of activities if you ahve kids coming and they have a traditional celidh wehre you do scottish dacning in the evening. Food weas goo as well.

Glasgow, Uk
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 60th birthday - need hotel!

Thanks very mcuh for all suggestions so far. PeterScot - I guess I should have added that West Coast is also fine, my mistake!! As we couldn't get into The George I had started to focus on a wee bit further south to make it a bit easier as people are coming from all over and obviously not sure what weather will be like in February. But we'd go further north if somewhere really stood out.

alyth, scotland
Level Contributor
670 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 60th birthday - need hotel!

How about Lands of Loyal, Alyth

easy to reach bout 1 1/2 - 2 hours from either aberdeen, edinburgh & glasgow airports

nearest trains are Dundee & perth

nearest water - Dundee/Broughty Ferry

or Back water reservoir.

Great hall, great food and just intimate enough (only 18 rooms) to have a great birthday celebration

Hamilton, United...
Level Contributor
700 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 60th birthday - need hotel!

If you are feeling a bit flush consider the Ballathie House Hotel. Not very far South, East or West come to think of it but right on the banks of the Tay and great food.

Level Contributor
57 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 60th birthday - need hotel!

Hi Rebecca

You could try Blackaddie House Hotel, although not east coast it is southern Scotland near Dumfries.

I think it matches what you are looking for.

8. Re: 60th birthday - need hotel!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 22:19
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor