We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight stop, north of Glasgow Airport

Victoria
Level Contributor
80 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Overnight stop, north of Glasgow Airport

Next June we fly into Glasgow airport at 16:55, pick up a car and head north with the intention of driving to Inverness the following day (have the whole day to get there). Where would you recommend a couple of Aussie should stop for the first night? Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
8,189 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight stop, north of Glasgow Airport

I'm guessing your flight will be a long one.

How about staying the night in Glasgow, then hiring your car in the morning and doing your long drive? You would save a day's hire costs, avoid driving while jetlagged and you could see a bit of Glasgow.

If you don't like this idea, how far are you prepared to drive on your first night?

You probably won't be on your way till at least 18.30 by which time you might be looking for somewhere for dinner.

Depending on which route north you pick, you could look at stopping around Loch Lomond or alternatively the Stirling area.

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Loch Lomond
Loch Lomond
371 Reviews
Scotland, UK
Stirling
Stirling
Scotland, UK
Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
3,076 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight stop, north of Glasgow Airport

At that time in the evening you can be on Loch Lomondside in 20 to 25 minutes from the airport (easy, uncomplicated driving). Nights are long in Scotland in June. It won't be dark until almost 11pm so you would have time to get into a hotel, have dinner and do a bit of sightseeing if you are not too tired.

The first place you come to on Loch Lomondside is Balloch, where I live myself. It's a tourist village so there is a lot of hotel and B&B accommodation available there and it would be very handy for you.

You could do a lot worse than try one of the luxury rooms in my local, http://www.waterhouseinn.co.uk/. I would be happy to answer any further questions for you.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight stop, north of Glasgow Airport

The point TGW makes is a good one. Are you coming from Oz to Glasgow? If you are I think it would be wise to stay in or around Glasgow, somewhere you can get a taxi to. We can recommend various places if that is the case.

However if you are coming from somewhere a litle closer, or you think you will be ok after such a big flight, why not head for Stirling. It's about an hours drive from the airport on a pretty straightforward road. There is a direct train service from Glasgow Queen Street station to Stirling.

You could stay somewhere like No 10, The Terraces Hotel or Forth Guest House, all of which are in walking distance to the town if you need to eat. More info here:

www.instirling.co.uk

Next day you could do the open top bus tour, castle, Wallace Monument etc, pick up your hire car from a local firm and then take a leisurely afternoon drive up to Inverness.

Any questions just ask. Hope this helps,

Emelda

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Stirling
Stirling
Scotland, UK
Victoria
Level Contributor
80 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight stop, north of Glasgow Airport

Thank you all for the comments. We'll be coming from Rome, so only a 3 hour flight. Still a short trip to somewhere nice to stay and start the next day would be good. Cheers

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnight stop, north of Glasgow Airport

Oh whew, I was a bit worried about your health and safety having done that Oz flight myself. I couldn't have bitten my own fingernails after it!!

So, Stirling...how does that sound?

Emelda

Mentioned in this post
Stirling
Stirling
Scotland, UK
Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
3,076 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overnight stop, north of Glasgow Airport

For a short trip then Balloch would be ideal at less than half an hour from the airport. It is also on Loch Lomond, which is arguably one of the most beautiful places in the World and certainly one of the most beautiful in Scotland.

Mentioned in this post
Loch Lomond
Loch Lomond
371 Reviews
Scotland, UK
Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
8,189 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Overnight stop, north of Glasgow Airport

It would be helpful to know what kind of budget you are on. Are you looking for a B&B or a hotel with leisure facilities?

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Overnight stop, north of Glasgow Airport

Can't argue with you there Alex!

E.

Hamilton, United...
Level Contributor
700 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Overnight stop, north of Glasgow Airport

I think it depends what you want to see enroute to Inverness. The easier drive is probably via Stirling and Perth but is not so scenic. Both cities are lovely though and would be a great stop-over.

If you go the other route there is a huge amount of B&Bs on the way and i personally would head on a little further to perhaps Tarbet at the other end of Loch Lomond. It's only 15 miles or so further down the road.

Not wishing to upset some regulars on here I cannot say i'm a big fan of Balloch. Perhaps my job has taken me to some of the less nice areas of the town, away from the tourist hotspots. Maybe my views on it have been sullied unfairly on my visits to the place.

Mentioned in this post
Stirling
Stirling
Scotland, UK
Loch Lomond
Loch Lomond
371 Reviews
Scotland, UK
Victoria
Level Contributor
80 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Overnight stop, north of Glasgow Airport

Okay, so either Ballock or Tabort, on Loch Lomond "one of the most beautiful places in the world". Sounds good. We want to stay in B&Bs so that we can get to know some of the locals and get some good advice about what to do and how to proceed with the next leg of the trip. Budget? We want the best accommodation at the cheapest price, of course. Have you seen the dive that the Aussie $ has been taking. You should all be coming over here for a holiday! lol :-) Finally, could you please provide a bit more detail on the more scenic of the two road route options to Inverness. THANKS

Mentioned in this post
Loch Lomond
Loch Lomond
371 Reviews
Scotland, UK