We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glasgow or Edinburgh?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
383 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Glasgow or Edinburgh?

In my past experiences when travelling I've enjoyed picking one city as a home base for a week and exploring from there at my own leisurely pace. I'm in the early planning stages of a 2 week trip to Scotland and Ireland and would like to know the pro's and con's of staying in either city for a week to help me decide. I would like to stay in a nice hotel that's walking distance to attractions and good resteraunts. I plan on going in August 2009.

Any opinions or advice is much appreciated.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Glasgow or Edinburgh?

Hi, Glasgow and Edinburgh have healthy a rivalry between them and as I have lived in Edinburgh for 30 years I'm probably biased for this city but Glasgow is a great place as well and as transport links between them are very good you could stay in one and visit the other 2/3 times during your stay. Trains and Buses between the two cities are very frequent and inexpensive. The distance between the two is 45 miles which is miniscule compared to distances you probably travel in Canada. As you are planning your trip in August 09 you might want to stay in Glasgow and visit Edinburgh as the Fringe/Festival will be on and hotels prices are at a premium. The festival in on 7 Aug to 31 Aug. Keep a check on their website at www.edfringe.com. There are some great restaurants in both cities, also city hotels. I would advise checking out tripadvisor reviews as I don't want to appear biased, which I probably am.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glasgow or Edinburgh?

Hi

Well either are great options.

A key factor to bear in mind is that in August Edinburgh hosts its international festival. The festival has an official programme - and a much larger fringe. In 2008 for example there were over 30,000 different performances of over 2000 shows (theatre, music, comedy, exhibitions etc) at almost 250 venues. www.eif.co.uk and www.edfringe.com give some info. The festival itself will run from 14 august to 6 September and the fringe starts and ends a week earlier. it is an amazing time to visit Edinburgh but it does also mean that accommodation is in both short supply and the cheaper options sell out fast. So if you do decide to stay then, you need to book in advance.

Glasgow and Edinburgh are only about 40 minutes apart by train so whichever you choose you can easily visit the other.

Edinburgh has more obviously historic ancient buildings (medieval and georgian) whereas Glasgow got wealthy in the victorian times. I think on balance the shopping is a wee bit better in Glasgow and the eating out options maybe better in Edinburgh. Both have good, free museums.

For an enthusiastic view of Glasgow have a read of tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186534-i211-k24…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
383 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glasgow or Edinburgh?

Wow ! thanks for the prompt replies. I had no idea that the two cities were so close. I spend 1 hr and 30 min each way going to work everyday on the bus for work. I could easily stay in one and day trip to the other. It seems like no matter where I stay I can't go wrong! The hotel research begins.

Any other ideas or opinions are still welcome

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glasgow or Edinburgh?

Hi

A couple of websites worth a look when planning are

www.list.co.uk - a whats on, eating out, attractions listing for edinburgh and glasgow

www.seeglasgow.com - the official guide to glasgow

If you want a good guidebook "Scotland the Best" by Peter Irvine is one lots of Scots use themselves.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
383 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glasgow or Edinburgh?

Thanks for the additional info. I like to research everything ahead of time and plan my entire trip before I leave. When I get there I just go with the flow and might not stick to the plan but at least i have one if needed.

6. Re: Glasgow or Edinburgh?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 07:21