We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation for 3 months

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation for 3 months

Hi all,

I am revisiting Scotland in October 2009 and am hunting for self-cater furnished accommodation for 2 "senior" adults for the 3 month period 1 October to 31 December 2009.

I would dearly love to find something very Scottish, a cottage in the highlands or by the sea, but also open to all ideas, even a static caravan. I am not concerned about location as I will have a car and the travel distances in Scotland are not an issue.

I hope you can help me out with this as I am so looking forward to spending an extended time in Scotland, even hoping for my first ever white Christmas. (It's usually around 100 degrees in Oz at that time of year.)

Kind regards to all

Tony (oztopcat)

Alpha Centauri
Level Contributor
785 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation for 3 months

Hello Tony! Have a look at some cottage websites. They usually have cottages, houses, cabins, apartments, all types of accommodation. Try www.ecosse-unique.co.uk and www.cottages4you.co.uk and peek at www.undiscoveredscotland.com for places and areas, things to see and do, also some good links to accommodation as well. Once you narrow your selection down a bit you can get the "experts" here to assist with narrowing your final selection. Price range, rural peace vs. urban convenience, etc. will help folks here help you more. I have my own personal favourites, PM me if you want more info. Enjoy! --Sandy

Elie, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,492 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation for 3 months

Hi Tony

I am not going to add anything to what Sandyhibiscus said about accommodation, but I just wanted to say that in the depths of winter, travel distances may become an issue if the weather is bad (and static caravans can be very cold) The daylight hours are very short and somewhere remote may not be such a great idea. Another thing to consider is the cost of rental cottages over the Christmas and new Year period - scary!! Having said all that I'm not trying to put a "downer" on your plans and I hope you find your dream cottage and I'll keep my fingers crossed for snow. We have certainly had quite a lot in this area during October, November and early December this year.

Regards

Woody x

alyth, scotland
Level Contributor
660 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation for 3 months

Hi Tony,

how about a cottage on a golf course - 15 min walk into town, breakfast in the clubhouse if you don't want to cook.

One of our local courses has a smallish cottage right on the course (within a 5 min walk to the clubhouse) not much demand out of season, so the rental would be reasonable.

Alyth is a quite central small town, if you draw a circle almost half of scotland is within 1 1/2 hours drive.

have send a PM with contact details

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,957 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation for 3 months

This is not exactly a cottage but it would be more comfortable for you and it is well located. Apart from xmas and new year this is the quietest time of year so I am sure the owners would be willing to negotiate with you.

http://www.lomondholidaycottages.co.uk/

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,461 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation for 3 months

Have you thought about the possibililty of a house swap? www.homeexchange.com for some ideas.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation for 3 months

Thank you everyone for the advice, you have given me so much information to work on. If there is anything further anyone can think of please do not hesitate to let me know.

Greatly appreciated.

Regards to all

Tony

7. Re: Accommodation for 3 months

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 January 2009, 11:39
Blairgowrie
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accommodation for 3 months

Check out East Perthshire for an extended stay. As the 'heart of Scotland' it's a great location for exploring in all directions and has good road links to towns and cities throughout Scotland. Check out the local tourist association website www.bepta.com which has information on self-catering accommodation, certainly lots of cosy little cottages there and the rates are always discounted in the winter months. Prices are usually higher for the Christmas/New Year weeks but for a 3 month booking I'm sure owners would be open to negotiation. Perthshire has stunning scenery and lots of historic sites to visit but be aware that many of the castles etc are closed at that time of year although some open over the Christmas/New Year period such as Glamis Castle (childhood home of the Queen Mum) We've had several visitors from Oz now and they've loved it here.

9. Re: Accommodation for 3 months

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 31 January 2009, 20:33
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Accommodation for 3 months

Thanks LittletonScot

Your information opened a whole new area for me.

Regards

Tony