We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anstruther Fish Bar best in the UK - it's official

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,739 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Anstruther Fish Bar best in the UK - it's official

This great fish and chip shop in the East Neuk won the title again last week, not surprisingly. We eat here whenever we're in Fife, as do lots of others, which is why there's always a queue! It's worth the wait though. There's nothing nicer than sitting on the harbour on a summer evening with a fish supper.

Apparently, famous customers have included prince William, Tom Hanks and Robert de Niro.

Russell, Kansas
Level Contributor
586 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anstruther Fish Bar best in the UK - it's official

I'm not famous, but it's my favourite place too. I have a lot of fond memories from eating there.

India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,156 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anstruther Fish Bar best in the UK - it's official

Well done, they must be good have not been but if ever in the area I will !

Well done also to Colmans in South Shields who were the runners up, really enjoyed the fish and chips there. Things have changed a lot at Colmans since I was a kid!

Cannot beat a good fish and chips out the paper sitting on the beach!

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,851 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anstruther Fish Bar best in the UK - it's official

Great news. Its a family favourite here too. Sadly its not on the doorstep. I imagine there must be a few chippies around scotland that come close to the Anstruther.

If only I knew where to find them!

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
998 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Anstruther Fish Bar best in the UK - it's official

Purple - sadly even further away for you but the Famous Bervie Chipper (on the A92 north of Dundee and just south of Brechin) is every bit as good as the Anstruther Fish Bar - and a lot less crowded! :-)

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
10,161 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anstruther Fish Bar best in the UK - it's official

Stop all this talk of Eastern Scotland and give me the name of a top flight chipper in or near Oban and also the Mull of Kintyre, both of which I will be visiting this summer.

6. Re: Anstruther Fish Bar best in the UK - it's official

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 00:19