We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 days Tour of Scotland by Car

Malta
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
6 days Tour of Scotland by Car

I intend to have a 6 day tour of Scotland by Car from 20th March to 25th March, leaving and returning to Manchester. I am more interesting in scenery.

Can I have some suggestions and tips. Till now nothing is booked, so all suggestions re routes/places of interest and hotels/restaurants are most welcomed.

Thanks

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,500 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 days Tour of Scotland by Car

Well, you might want to start with this site to determine what areas interest you.

http://www.visitscotland.com/guide/.

Then on this site, where it says 'get route' you can determine how far and how long the drives will be.

http://www.theaa.com/

Malta
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 days Tour of Scotland by Car

Thanks for the links. Am interested in including Highlands and Skye in my tour.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 days Tour of Scotland by Car

I'll tell you my favorite drives. You can then see if they would fit in with your plans. I took the A84 from Dunblane north through Calendar and past the Trossachs to the A85 north to the A827 Killin and on to Aberfeldy. Then I'd take the B848 over the mountain toward Tummel Bridge. You might take a side trip out to see Glen Lyon. Another side trip would be to take the single track road off to Rannoch. Ultimately you can meet up with the B8018 which takes you past the Queen's View and on to the A9 and Pictlochry. If you take the A9 north and then take the A889 north at Dalwhinnie you'll bump into the A86. (A short side trip northeast will take you to Laggan which will be of interest if you're a Monarch of the Glen fan. I would continue west on the a86 to Spean Bridge. From here there are many choices! Continue west on the A82 to the a850 and you'll run into Glenfinnan--Harry Potter and Prince Charles fame. Or continue further west on the A82 past Loch Linnhe and at Inchtree pick up the A861 and head for Ardnamurchan and the west. Or back in Spean Bridge take the A82 north. (Don't forget to stop for the Commando Monument. Take the turn west on the A87 toward Glen Garry. Take the single track toward Inchlaggan. You can back track and then go back north up the A87 to rejoin the A82 and north and east to Inverness. I'll stop now because I have to stop and remember this wonderful trip. ; ) Pam

Malta
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 days Tour of Scotland by Car

I'll track this on the map and see what I can make out of it.

Thanks for your tips. Keep them coming.

Malta
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 days Tour of Scotland by Car

As I'm having 5 nights stay, can anyone suggest where is the best to stop, preferably two places, to use as hub from where it will be easily touring around without having to change a number of hotels/B&B.

Malta
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 days Tour of Scotland by Car

Now that I have returned back for our Holiday to Scotland I wish to thank all those who contributed on this site as I really found it very helpful. Everything went very smoothly and we were very satisfied with our holiday. We were lucky with the weather as it was very good, considering that it was mid/end March.

Our main stops were in Fort William and Edinburgh. I wish to highly recommend Buccleuch Guest House in Fort William (www.buccleuchfortwilliam.co.uk/index.htm). You can find all the correct information on their website.

This was our first trip to Scotland, but it want be the last. We will be returning very soon.

7. Re: 6 days Tour of Scotland by Car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 02:20