We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to make my tour bases?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
11 posts
Save Topic
Where to make my tour bases?

I am traveling to Scotland in late September for two weeks. I have decided on the following home bases: Edinburgh, Glasgow, Inverness, somewhere on the Isle of Skye and maybe Fort Williams. Where I am not sure is the home base for the North & East/West of Edinburgh area. I plan on going to Stirling Castle, Wallace Monument St Andrews, Glamis Castle, and other sights. Any ideas for a home base in this area? Also, any suggestions or comments on my other home bases. Thank you for your time!!

alyth, scotland
Level Contributor
655 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to make my tour bases?

you could try our area - Blairgowrie/Alyth

www.bepta.com is the local tourist assiciation site with load of information.

following is a list of places I hand to our guests - gives you an overview (by no means complete) of easy reach destinations

Recommended Places to Visit within 1 hour drive of

Within 10 Mins

BLAIRGOWRIE Here you join the A93 – the road north to skiing at Glen Shee and beyond to Braemar for the famous Highland Games and Balmoral Castle

MEIGLE Home to some of the most important Pictish stones ever carved by the primitive Scots.

Within 15 Mins

KIRRIEMUIR JM Barrie Museum (Author of Peter Pan), Gateway to the Glens Museum.

GLAMIS Magnificent Castle and grounds, childhood home of the late Queen Mother, hosts many festivals and events throughout the year.

Angus Folk Museum, excellent little museum, housed in perfectly preserved 18th century cottages in the heart of the village.

Within 20 Mins

GLENISLA Stunning waterfalls at Reekie Linn, beautiful walking around Backwater reservoir, or part of the Cateran Trail back towards Alyth.

ANGUS GLENS Reached via Kirriemuir, for superb walking for all abilities with beautiful views, river, woodland and open hillside.

Within 25 Mins

FORFAR The county town of Angus, a traditional market town centre, still hosts Farmers Markets every month

DUNDEE The Royal research ship DISCOVERY, as sailed by Captain Scott to the Antarctic is berthed back here in its hometown and is today a very interesting exhibition.

Also – Art Galleries, Theatres, Museums, Concert Hall & Exhibition Centre and plenty of shops.

Within 30 Mins

DUNKELD Loch of the Lowes Wildlife Centre, noted for Osprey watching. Beautiful walks at the Hermitage, Cathedral, Beatrix Potter Museum.

SCONE Scone Palace – the coronation place for all the kings of Scotland.

Perth Racecourse – a full calendar of racing over national hunt fences and hurdles.

Within 40 Mins

Perth Known as the Fair City, frequent winner of Britain in Bloom, due to its many hanging baskets and floral displays, a very enjoyable afternoon shopping and eating Al fresco can be spent in this pedestrian friendly city.

BRECHIN Pictavia at Brechin Castle Centre – artefacts and exhibits illustrating the life of the original inhabitants of Scotland.

CARNOUSTIE Sea side town, famous for its Championship golf links course, 1999 Open reputedly one of the most challenging in the world. The Open will returned here in 2007

ST. ANDREWS The Home of Golf and a mecca for any golfer. Steeped in history and justly famous for its university. Excellent for shopping and dining out.

Within 50 Mins

ARBROATH Just along the coast from Carnoustie. Famous for ‘smokies’ , Arbroath Abbey – where Scotland’s nobles declared their independence from England in 1320.

MONTROSE The House of Dun, designed by William Adam in 1730, beautiful gardens.

Montrose Basin and nature reserve – a wildlife centre of international importance, attracting thousands of migrating and native birds. Excellent viewing facilities.

PITLOCHRY Pitlochry Festival Theatre – a great evening out.

AUCHTERARDER A beautiful town with excellent shopping.

GLENEAGLES The famous hotel & resort with 3 championship golf courses.

Within 1 hour – or slightly longer

BLAIR ATHOLL Blair Castle, 5 star attraction in Highland Perthshire, one of the great houses of Scotland.

HOUSE OF BRUAR Just north of Blair Atholl this shopping centre promotes the best of Scottish products.

FORTH ROAD BRIDGE The famous bridge that takes you from Fife over the river Forth to Edinburgh.

ABERDEEN The Silver City – so named because the colour of the traditional granite used to build many of the houses is a light grey that reflects bright sliver in the sunshine.

STIRLING The heart of William Wallace country, the famous brave heart warrior. Stirling castle & the Wallace monument, Bannockburn battlefield and Visitor centre only a short drive away.

EAST NEUK OF FIFE A string of beautiful small towns and villages with excellent fish restaurants on the coast of Fife, including Crail, Anstruther, Elie

and St. Monans.

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to make my tour bases?

Stirling

Perth

St Andrews

Pitlochry

Any of the above for a base for the things you have said you want to see/do.

Isle of skye-Portree

Inverness-in the town or places like Rosemarkie or Nairn or Aviemore.

Just afew more ideas, enjoy your trip.

Check out www.visitscotland.com

Blairgowrie
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to make my tour bases?

I agree with tomjunior about the Blairgowrie area. All our guests have commented on how central we are and how they can easily reach so many different places.

4. Re: Where to make my tour bases?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 13:16