We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Am I overestimating how awesome our Scotland trip will be?

Florida
Level Contributor
162 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Am I overestimating how awesome our Scotland trip will be?

We are about 12 days away from our fsmily trip wherein we will arrive at, and depart from, Edinburgh, and in between, over the course of 8 days, see as many sights around the country as we can reasonably take in. I have never been this excited about a trip (first time outside the U.S., for one thing). Adding to my excitement is the fact that everyone I talk to who has been to Scotland tells me it is the most beautiful place they have ever visited, and the people are among the friendliest on earth. Am I in for any disappointment or is it truly as wonderful as I have read, heard and seen? For instance, is there a big Jumbo-Mart super retail center cropped just outside the frame of all of the awe-inspiring Eilean Donan photos?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,448 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Am I overestimating how awesome our Scotland trip will be?

No ,Yes and No in that order I think.

have a great holiday and I hope the sunshines,or it rains if you want it to.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,020 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Am I overestimating how awesome our Scotland trip will be?

Big Jumbo-Mart? Yes, Donald Trump is seeking planning permission for a supermarket and drive-thru MacDonalds at Eilean Donan. (There is, actually, a roadside restaurant called the "Jac-o-bite" quite near Eilean Donan).

However, if you do as everyone else does and point the camera in the right direction, you can keep the oil rigs and power lines out of the frame.

As this is your first trip outside the US, I've no doubt you'll be pleasantly surprised by some aspects of Scotland. But please don't expect "Brigadoon".

There are some unattractive parts of the country (which, thankfully, few people on TA ask to visit), and some planning decisions beggar belief.

During the oil boom of the '70s and '80s, giant oil rigs were constructed in some of Scotlands most beautiful sea lochs (eg http://oilrig.gmdesign.org.uk/beginning.htm), and even now, noone can persuade me that the plethora of fish farms is doing anything for tourism. The new battle seems to be over renewable energy and plans for huge wind farms across swathes of Scotland.

But, as is sometimes said, 'you can't eat the scenery', and not everyone can work in the tourism industry. Nor does tourism provide work for 12 months a year in most places.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your trip and be made very welcome. So do please report back on your time there. Even if it's not idyllic, it's interesting hearing the views of visitors.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
392 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Am I overestimating how awesome our Scotland trip will be?

Footnoted, I'm very proud to have enthusiastic visitors such as yourselves visiting my country. Hopefully, your optimism will repaid by experience when you get here.

I can re-assure you that there are no Jumbo Marts anywhere near Eilean Donan...

Hamilton, United...
Level Contributor
700 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Am I overestimating how awesome our Scotland trip will be?

And remember our scenery is so green and beautiful because of the rain, not despite it. Make no mistake, you will see rain, along with all the other glorious sights!

You will be amazed how quickly the scenery in the east changes to the scenery in the west.

I'm sure you will enjoy your trip!

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,565 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Am I overestimating how awesome our Scotland trip will be?

<< is there a big Jumbo-Mart super retail center cropped just outside the frame of all of the awe-inspiring Eilean Donan photos? >>

No, but there's probably a gift shop.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,350 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Am I overestimating how awesome our Scotland trip will be?

Whatever you are expecting, it will be different, to some extent. You will find the weather feels cold. Not everywhere will be as spotlessly clean as you are accustomed to. Take the country on its own terms. Relax, be ready for surprises, expect the unexpected, and go with the flow.

You may have a few disappointments, but those will be more than outweighed by the memorable surprises. You will meet some really friendly people, and a few rude ones, just like everywhere else. Don't judge the country through a few random encounters.

Take warm clothes and waterproofs. Enjoy your trip!

calgary
Level Contributor
4,733 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Am I overestimating how awesome our Scotland trip will be?

Actually it's a horrible place to visit - you really need to send me your tickets, so that I can go in your place :-) Truthfully, it's a beautiful country with wonderful people; I can't wait until September when I'll be visiting again.

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Am I overestimating how awesome our Scotland trip will be?

Overestimating? Scotland? Friendly Scotland?? Historic Scotland??? Scenic, scenic Scotland???? Romantic Scotland??????

Ohhhhh, I get it...you were just joking :-).

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
157 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Am I overestimating how awesome our Scotland trip will be?

Footnoted- I completely understand your trepidation! For we Americans, it's the holy grail- home to the homeland which has taken on a mythic quality. We're going in April (gah! 18 days!)and I am bracing myself for minor letdowns... but I know no matter what it will be the trip of a lifetime...

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Am I overestimating how awesome our Scotland trip will be?

It will be a fantastic trip! I first visited Scotland at age 23 and have been back 8 times since! I'll add to the list of history, scenery, friendly people, good whisky, good ale, great traditional music that's fun when it's brought into the 21st century too! Don't forget your water proof jacket and never let the rain slow you down! Pam