We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days in Mull, Inverary, Oban area

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
4 days in Mull, Inverary, Oban area

We are visiting Scotland with our senior parents. They are 80 years old but fairly active. Planning on 2 days/nights in Edinburgh. Then we have 4 days to visit the Highlands. Does this itinerary sound OK, or too demanding?

Drive Edinburgh to Inverary

Explore Inverary in afternoon, stay overnight.

Here's where I'm struggling:

Is it worth doing/feasible to drive thru Glen Coe, Fort William, Glenfinnan, Moidart and then get the ferry from Lochaline to Mull? Or should I turn down the A861 after Fort Williams?

Stay the night in Tobermory.

Go to Iona, visit Duart Castle & stay night in Craignure.

Catch ferry to Oban for distillery tour, etc. Stay in Oban for our last night.

Any feedback would help greatly!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,825 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days in Mull, Inverary, Oban area

You would need to check how long the Moidart route would take. It seems a very long day to me, but you might be happy with it.

The A861 would be shorter, but I'd recommend you visit Glenfinnan before using that road.

I'd prefer to stay 2 nights in the same place on Mull, otherwise you are continually packing and travelling with the car full of Luggage.

Enjoy.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days in Mull, Inverary, Oban area

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, you're probably right about staying two nights at the same place on Mull.

I'm hoping someone might be able to tell me how long it will take to drive from Inverary through Fort Wiliam and Glenfinnan and down to Lochaline either via Moidart or not.

Thanks again.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,757 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 days in Mull, Inverary, Oban area

You're doing a wee bit of backtracking with that route. I think you'd be better going Edinburgh, up through Glencoe, over on the Corran Ferry and down through Morvern to Lochaline. It's a stunning but demanding drive, and I'm not sure how much extra you would gain from carrying on up to Fort William.

Basing yourselves in Tobermory for two nights is a good idea for the "nightlife", but don't underestimate the size of the island or how long it will take you to explore all the way down to Iona from there.

Leave on the Craignure ferry, explore Oban and it's a relatively short drive to Inveraray, and back to Edinburgh via Glasgow.

Re routing that way effectively gives you a spare night, as Inveraray and Oban are so close. You could either take in Stirling en route to Glencoe and add in a stop in Fort William, or give yourselves another night on Mull, or stick to plan A and stop in both Inverary and Oban.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,757 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 days in Mull, Inverary, Oban area

Sorry, forgot to answer your query regarding driving times. Try experimenting with the route planner on www.theaa.com.

I've done the Edinburgh-Lochaline route a lot, and with no stops for refreshments or photographs or anything, the timing usually goes like this:

Edinburgh - Callander - 1 hour

Callander - Tyndrum - 1 hour

Tyndrum - Corran Ferry - 1 hour

Ardgour - Lochaline - up to an hour - the last twenty miles are all single track.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 days in Mull, Inverary, Oban area

Thank you so much for the feedback. I see what you're saying about doing Inverary on the last day instead. Makes sense.

But, I'm still pondering whether to try to do Moidart area. I have read that it's stunning and not as "touristy".

Having been through Fort William on a previous trip, I can definitely skip it (no offense to anyone). I am travelling with three people who have never visited Scotland. I had a wonderful trip through Skye, Harris, Lewis, and Uist last time. I want to make sure that I show the others the stunning scenery and some history in a very limited amount of time. Do you think it would be worth going to the Moidart area if we went across the Corran ferry and skipped Fort William?

Also, since we're not really looking for nightlife, would it be better to base ourselves in Craignure for two nights and forego Tobermory? That way, we'll be a little closer to Iona and the Torosay and Duart Castles.

Thank you again!

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 days in Mull, Inverary, Oban area

Sorry- scratch that last question about Craignure. Just read some forums about Tobermory and that sounds like the place for us.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 days in Mull, Inverary, Oban area

I've just returned from a short trip which involved using much of the route described by DDootsie and would agree with timings listed in his/her post. The scenery in the Moidart / Ardgour areas i.e. the region to the NW of the Corran ferry is indeed spectacular. It lies somewhat off the main tourist track due I suspect to a combination of remoteness, lack of regular public transport and single track roads. The 20 miles or so of single track road between the Corran ferry and Lochaline need not be a problem as there are plenty of fairly straight sections with good visibility; traffic tends to be light given that the Mull ferry from Lochaline is small and carries relatively few vehicles. This crossing to Mull is much shorter than the usual route from Oban, vehicle transit costs are quite a lot lower and, when I've used this ferry, booking was neither required nor available i.e. it's a 'turn up and go' service.

If returning via the mainland (as opposed to Mull) there are 2 alternative routes apart from the Corran ferry - the single track road around the south side of Loch Eil to Glenfinnan or the single track road via Loch Sunart to Gleneilort. (Btw I'm writing this info from memory as don't have the 1:50,000 map, sheet 40, to hand but can pull it on request if more details of these alternate routes are required). The road around the south of Loch Eil is quite good and carries little traffic - those of us who live in Northern Scotland use it as an alternative to the Corran ferry...and everyone has to use it after 2100hrs when ferry ceases for the night. The route via Loch Sunart is more spectacular but is much slower as sections have sharp bends and restricted visibility both of which call for caution given that route is single track with passing places.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 days in Mull, Inverary, Oban area

Great! Thank you Hubbert's Peak. I didn't realize there wasa ferry from Kilchoan to Tobermory. Do you think this is an ok route to do in one day?

Edinburgh to Glen Coe area for lunch somewhere.

Corran Ferry to Kilchoan for ferry to Tobermory

How long would the route take from Ardgour to Kilchoan?

Thanks!!

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,690 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 days in Mull, Inverary, Oban area

We drove to Kilchoan last year and I remember it took twice as long as we thought it would from looking at the map. Not only is it slow going but very winding - so much so that I had to take over the driving to avoid being car-sick!

There's a very good cafe on the left as you approach the Kilchoan ferry. Sadly I can't remember the name but there can't be that many.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,757 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 days in Mull, Inverary, Oban area

I wouldn't recommend going all the way to Kilchoan. It is a tortuous drive. Even the Calmac timetables list it as a way to get to Ardnamurchan, rather than a way to get to Mull! I made the mistake of doing it once and have gone Lochaline-Fishnish ever since.

And I take it you have realised I was being slightly tongue-in-cheek when I mentioned Tobermory "nightlife"! I just meant it has three good options for pub food, a couple of cracking wee restaurants, and a good chance of catching some live music.