We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whisky Tour Advice

new york
7 posts
Save Topic
Whisky Tour Advice

Will be driving through the Highlands in a couple weeks and we'd like to stop at 1 or 2 distilleries along the way. Can anyone recommend or comment on the tours offered at Balvenie, Glenfiddich (regular vs. Connoisseur tour) and the Macallan tour?

We will have two whisky drinkers, one whisky novice and two females with minimal interest...

Thanks in advance...

exeter
Level Contributor
60 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whisky Tour Advice

Hi

I haven't been on any of these tours but have been on several others, Oban, Tobermory, Edradour and Blair Athol. Whilst the quantity of the whisky produced varies massively the process for production and therefore the tour describing the process varies very little, why not try a couple?

new york
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Whisky Tour Advice

unfortunately will only have time for one, maybe two tours, and most likely will have to be in the speyside region. i'm a big balvenie fan, but have read good things about the glenfiddich tour. macallan tour has limited information on their website. also, we're much more interested in the tastings vs. the tours.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,428 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Whisky Tour Advice

If you are more interested on tasting then go for the Balvenie on( I think you need at least 2 hours for this),it is much more expensive but gives a tutoured tasting from real experts.I have not done this tour but hopefully will later this year.The Balvenie distillery is almost next door to Glenfiddich.the Glenfiddich tour is very good ,very informative and very tourist orienteted,i don,t mean this in a bad way,it is wonderfully organised and a great experience,but for a whisky buff the Balvenie is the one (i love Balvenie Doublewood).If the ladies wanted to bypass the tour while the gents partake,then the nearby Balvenie castle is worth a visit.

I did the Macallan tour and it is a bit "Industrial" a good enough tour but not memorable.

Aberlour also do a very good tasting tour,i did it about 3 years ago and enjoyed it very much,after a very informative tour you get the chance to try 6 malts from the Aberlour range,not a favourite whisky of mine ,but most enjoyable.

Another excellent tour in that area is Glenfarclas,the room they do the whisky tasting in is absoloutely stunning.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,428 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Whisky Tour Advice

you have got me started.

http://www.craigellachie.com/quaich-bar.asp

If you are in the area you have to make a stop at the Quaich bar in the Craigellachie Hotel,Craigellachie.

Your wallet might take a big hit but it is worth it.just up the road from there is the Craigellachie Cooperage which is open to visitors.

In Aberlour there is the Mash Tunn bar,it has a range of Glenfarclas whisky going back about 60 years or so,you can try and get one from the year your were born,for me it would cost about £300 a nip,I think I will wait till I win the lottery.

I can highly reccommend the Mash Tunn for a meal.

New York
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Whisky Tour Advice

How about the Island malts....which ones do you recommend? I will def be in Skye, but not certain yet which other islands I'll be heading to....

Thanks!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,428 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Whisky Tour Advice

If you want to try island malt then the only place is Islay.

islayinfo.com/islay_whisky_distilleries.html

There is a new distillery there called Kilchoman and their whisky is now just old enough to be called scotch whisky,I have tasted it in its early form and it is going to be a lovely whisky,but there is so much whisky things to do and see on Islay a few days there is really needed.

Not sure if the Port Charlotte distillery is now open but Port Charottle whisky was being produced in the Bruichladdich distillery,i did have some of the founders 5 years old and it is very nice ,sadly though the bottle is finished.

Maidenhead, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whisky Tour Advice

We had a couple of days in Speyside last summer (group of five). The whisky making process is the same whichever distillery you go to, so we found that after one detailed tour sufficient.

We did this detailed tour at Aberlour, and thought it was excellent. They gave us a tour around the distlliery, explaining the process thoroughly. We then had a tutored tasting of 6 malts. The whole tour lasted about 2 hours, and cost £10. As we were there in the summer we booked our places a couple of days beforehand, and were glad we did as the tour was sold out. The tours go once or twice a day.

We also visited The Glenlivet, and took their free tour of the distillery, with a tasting of 3 malts at the end. This one lasted about an hour. An added bonus of a visit to The Glenlivet is that there are a couple of walking trails around the estate. We did one that took us down by the river, lasted about 1.5 hours, and was just lovely.

Not sure if you have accomodation booked already, but if not I would thoroughly recommend the Tannochbrae Guest House in Dufftown. The rooms are lovely, the food in the small restaurant is superb, and Dufftown is ideally located for a tour of the region (Glenfiddich and Balvenie are in the village)

8. Re: Whisky Tour Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 10:16