We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scotland with a 3 YO and a 8mth

Ireland
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Scotland with a 3 YO and a 8mth

Hi Folks, Love reading this forum as it has loads of info on it. I am travelling to scotland in mid June for a week with my family. We are based in Killin, a beautiful village in Perthshire. I would like to hear some sugestions on what we can do to entertain the kids (3 and 8mths). We are there for 7 days.

What I have planned so far, in no particular order is :-

1) A day in Sterling Castle/shopping/Walace monument and surrounds.

2) Chill out for a day in Crief/Perth/Blair Drummond Safari park.

3) A day in Edinburgh. Castle/Zoo/Shoping.

4)Probably a day going towards Fort William/Oban

It's hopefully going to be a lazy, chilled out week with some goos weather. Without keeping the kids in the car all day, what trips/activities/locations would ye recommend. Please note I have addeded in some shoping for my good wife......

Thanks in advance

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,482 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scotland with a 3 YO and a 8mth

Have a day out to St Andrews area- Craigtoun park is fantastic for little ones with a boating pond, little train, bouncy castles and playgrounds as well as loads of open space for picnics. visit-standrews.co.uk/craigtouncountrypark.c… Follow this up with a trip to St Andrews West Sands beach, truly amazing stretch of sand, great for kites too if the weather is too cold for paddling.

Also in the Fife area (Cupar) is the Scottish Deer centre- has great birds of prey displays in the summer as well as lots of different deer to see, playground, and for the shoppers there is a big Edinburgh Woollen mill outlet and tea room there too so the whole family will have a good day out. www.tsdc.co.uk

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,983 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scotland with a 3 YO and a 8mth

The safari park is a great day out for children but IMHO it is a full day. You will not have time to do Crieff and Perth on the same day.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,090 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scotland with a 3 YO and a 8mth

There are many (and sometimes strange) things in Glasgow that could tempt the kids - not to mention the shopping for your good wife :)

Kelvingrove Museum - this is a super place for kids - not at all a stuffy museum - free entry - though there is a charge for the Doctor Who exhibition.

The tall ship - which currently has an exhibition "All Paws on Deck" about ships cats.

The Titan Crane - for great views - www.titanclydebank.com/index_small.html - and yes, you can go up it - all 150 feet in the air.

The Glasgow Science centre - www.glasgowsciencecentre.org - lots of hands on stuff for kids

The Loch Lomond aquarium - www.sealifeeurope.com - haven't been but may appeal.

If you do head down Loch Lomondside - the Coach house coffee shop has some delicious food and is family friendly. Their soups and the apple pie in particular are recommended.

Finally, if you good wife heads into Princes Square in Glasgow for some interesting shopping - www.princessquare.co.uk - there is a central mosaic that is very popular with young kids- they just seem to love running or crawling around on its images.

If Glasgow tempts www.seeglasgow.com has lots of info.

PS all your own suggestions look good by the way.

If you fancy a different day out you could consider taking the train from Crianlarich to Fort William - it really takes you through some amazingly wild scenery across Rannoch Moor. The journey takes just over 2 hours each way. Fort William itself is not a place of beauty, though you could go on a boat trip to see seals if the weather was nice.

If you fancied an amazing day you could take the train from Crianlarich to Fort William and then on to Mallaig and back. No driving for you and steam trains run in the summer and the scenery is stunning. However it would be a very long day (7:43 to 22:04) so probably not what you want with two young ones.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
392 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scotland with a 3 YO and a 8mth

Your three year old would be fascinated by the layout of the paths and plantbeds in Edinburgh's Botanic Gardens. He can also chase the squirrels. Meanwhile, the adults get to stroll through a beautiful park. Even better,it's free.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
392 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scotland with a 3 YO and a 8mth

Your three year old would be fascinated by the layout of the paths and plantbeds in Edinburgh's Botanic Gardens. He can also chase the squirrels. Meanwhile, the adults get to stroll through a beautiful park. Even better,it's free.

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,983 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scotland with a 3 YO and a 8mth

Doing it twice may be a little tiring for the kids. ;o)

Ireland
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scotland with a 3 YO and a 8mth

Hi Folks,

Thanks for all your sugestions. I will look up some of them. The St Andrews idea sounds great. I really think the all day train trip may be too much for them. Although I will have a look at the steam train to mallaig. It sounds like a nice run.

As those of you with kids know it a fine balancing act between entertainment and boredom with 3 year old. Should be fun.

Now if any of ye can now organise the good weather for that week it would be great !!!!!!!

8. Re: Scotland with a 3 YO and a 8mth

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2009, 05:33