We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2009 hollidays in Scotland

Postojna / Slovenia
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
2009 hollidays in Scotland

Hello!

As members of this forum helped me with good choices of hotels in London last year, I'm again asking for help.

This year me and my girlfriend decided that we'll spend our hollidays in Scotland and not on some hot beach over the sea.

We'll have 14 days to spend and are planning to come to Scotland - Glassgow at 5.8.2009, and leave arround 19.8.2009. Since we'll travel with Ryanair we have the dillema to stay entire 14 days in Scotland or go for 2 days in Dublin, since we have direct flight to Venice from there. In my oppinion it will not be fair to give Dublin just 2 days or to take 2 days away from Scotland. What do you say?

What do you recomend to see in Scotland? We have a plan to go north as far as we can, and then decend to Glassgow, from where we would fligh back home. As I found out there is a festival in Edingburgh, which we must see if we go in August, but there must be lots more beautiaful places we don't know of. Please advise what to see, and where to go and of course what not to miss.

And furthermore I'm asking myself if its best to book hotels in advance or just go and sleep in hotels we find near our travel route? Since we'll travel a lot I can't say for sure when we'll be in certain place, so it's hard to book a hotel in advance. What do you recomend? Is it possiblle to get rooms without booking in advance for reasonablle money? Of course in major cities we would book hotels, since there rooms are hard to find.

Thanks for your ansvers in advance.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
392 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2009 hollidays in Scotland

It's not clear from your message whether you're committed to the Dublin flight, perhaps because you've already bought the ticket or it's the best way of getting home. In this case, why not spend a couple of days in Dublin? Make a virtue of necessity.

jet.com flies from Edinburgh to Venice.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
392 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2009 hollidays in Scotland

Sorry, jet2.com

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,530 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2009 hollidays in Scotland

To get some ideas of what you are interested in seeing (Everybody's "must sees" are different) have a look at this website- www.undiscoveredscotland.com

August is peak season for accommodation, so I would highly recommend you book in advance- actually smaller places can be more of a problem than the big cities as there are fewer places to stay and they can get booked up well in advance.

Dublin is an easy side trip from Scotland but there is certainly plenty to see in Scotland for 14 days- a mixture of cities, scenery, coastline, history and great food/ music etc.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2009 hollidays in Scotland

Dublin is not a big place, you can see a lot of it in 2 full days.

Postojna / Slovenia
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 2009 hollidays in Scotland

Dublin was just an option on the way home, since we can fly dirrectlly to Venice.

But now we decided that we will spend whole 14 days in Scotlland, and leave Dublin to another time, when we'll come just to visit the town.

I will certanlly check suggested web site to plan our trip, but what do you say about not booking hotels in advance? What is the best way to travel arround in Scotland? And of course what is weather like in August? Is it a raining a lot?

Gennerally speaking we would like to see some wildlife, castles and of course main cities. Maybe to go on Orkney islands to check wildlife and then go towards Edinburgh and finnish in Glassgow. Of course we'll check also some whiskey distillers to see making of Scottish natural treasure :)

We'll buy tickets in these days, but dates are already set 5-18.8.2009.

Thanks for all your answers and suggestions.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,297 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2009 hollidays in Scotland

'what do you say about not booking hotels in advance?'

As 3nations family said, early August is peak holiday season and it would be advisable to book.

'What is the best way to travel arround in Scotland?'

Hire a car.

'And of course what is weather like in August?'

Changeable and unpredictable, just like the rest of the year! If you are lucky you will have some days of warm sunny weather, but there will also be cloud and rain at times.

'Is it a raining a lot?.

Statistically, August is wetter then other summer months in Scotland

Postojna / Slovenia
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 2009 hollidays in Scotland

Now i checked and car rental trough Ryanair is really cheap - 274 GBP for 13 days - not bad at all. That way it's also possiblle to book hotels in advance.

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,530 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2009 hollidays in Scotland

As with everything on Ryanair check out any extra charges/ insurance/ excesses - often what starts out as seeming a cheap deal can mount up with extra costs.

Postojna / Slovenia
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: 2009 hollidays in Scotland

I'm still weighting the options if shell I hire a car or go with public transport.

If we rent a car good point is that we can immediately go on the road, since plane lands at 22:50, and also when we go back there is no need to look for public transport as plane leaves at 6:30 from Glasgow.

But on the other hand public transport is in my opinion lot cheaper, and we have more free choices if we want to go let's say on islands, and we definitely want to visit Orkney islands. But regarding our landing time, we'll have to wait on airport till 7:00, when first bus leaves bus station. And same story will be when we'll go back early in the morning.

Which option do you prefer? Car hire at Hertz trough Ryanair costs app. 500 GBP for 2 weeks with super insurance for middle range car.

The second dilemma is about destination. First plan is to go from Glasgow to Ivernes and then stay there for 5 days and explore all sorroundings including Orkney. Then we'll head trough east part back to Edinburgh when we'll spend days till end. Of course we'll explore the east and central Scotland, but is it better to go to Edinburgh over east or west Scotland? What tours do you suggest?

Thanks for all your answers in advance

Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,211 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2009 hollidays in Scotland

Just remember that Ryanair lands at Prestwick Airport which is about 30 miles southwest of Glasgow.