We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American credit cards

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
American credit cards

Planning on taking a Visa cr.card when visiting Scotland but there is one place we are staying that only accepts British Sterling. What is the best and cheapest way to get money? At the airport? Also, will most of the transportation (trains, buses, ferries, rental cars, etc) accept Visa?

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,767 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: American credit cards

Its probably worth bringing a debit card with you as back up for getting cash out of the atms or bureau de change. I don't think the bus drivers would be happy bunnies if you were trying to pay with a credit card. You are definitely gonna need some cash, I would say bring some cash (or get some at the airport on arrival) then fall back on the atms if you need more.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: American credit cards

The cheapest way is to take money out of an ATM using your debit account which may require you to use a seperate card. This is because you don't have the option in the UK of selecting which account you want to use from a card so if you have one of those cards where you can select which account to use at an ATM you wont get that option in the UK, it will always use whatever is the default.

Make sure your PIN is 4 numeric digits as thats what UK ATMs need.

There are several ATMs at Edinburgh airport, if thats the airport you are referring to. Some near the top of the escalators on the way to departures and some in arrivals.

I don't know how much your lodgings cost but there might be a limit on how much cash you can take out per withdrawal or per day, if there is, typically that would be in the range of £200-£500. If its just one place overnight that wont be an issue I presume.

You can also take money out using your credit card, typically there is a 3% extra charge for that.

Nearly everywhere will take Visa (except for low value transactions, say under £10) make sure to notify your company you will be using it abroad, and also have a number to call them on in case of problems. I always take a spare card in case of issues. "Just in case"

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: American credit cards

Thanks so much.

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: American credit cards

There is sometimes a limit on the amount of card transactions that you can perform in a 24hr period. It might be worth querying with your bank if they have such a limit and get it increased if necessary.

Note I'm referring to the amount of times you use your card not the amount debited in each transaction.

5. Re: American credit cards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2009, 06:17