We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Free Day in Scotland???

13 posts
Save Topic
Free Day in Scotland???

Hi everyone,

I was just looking for some suggesting for a free day in scotland.

A little backround first..we will be in Edinburgh Sun. Mon - Wed we are doing a tour of the Highlands (haggis tour probably). Thursday we will have another day in Edinburgh. Sat we are in Glasgow, we fly out of glasgow on Sunday.

So, we have Friday day and night as a free day. I was just wondering what a good place to go would be, we will have to leave from Edinburgh and end up in Glasgow evenually. So maybe something by these areas.

Is there little towns that are a must see, or cool places where you can rent bikes and see the scenery that way.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated:)

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Free Day in Scotland???

Hi

Options between Edinburgh and Glasgow:

Stirling - a historic town with its own castle (if you haven't seen enough of castles in Edinburgh) there is more info on visitscottishheartlands.com/areas/…index.cfm

there is info on bike hire and routes on www.instirling.com/family/bike.htm - the surrounding countryside has some great options - the Trossachs are near at hand and beautiful.

Hertfordshire
Level Contributor
126 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Free Day in Scotland???

If it was me I would head to Glasgow and spend time in the museums there, many of them are free as they are owned by the City Council - http://www.glasgowmuseums.com/ - My personal favourites are The Transport Museum, The Burrell Collection & The Peoples Palace

Other places to see that you have to pay for are:

The House for an Art Lover (Built to a Charles Rennie Mackintosh Design & has a fab cafe)

The Tenement House - Shows how families lived in the tenements, totally untouched

The Lighthouse

3. Re: Free Day in Scotland???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 December 2009, 05:18