We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping at B & Bs?

Tennessee
Level Contributor
98 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping at B & Bs?

I am leaving for Scotland on Monday! One last question - is it proper, in good taste or whatever to leave a tip ($$) behind if I appreciated the service given to me at a Bed and Breakfast? I have done so at hotels - I dont see why it would be any different at a B & B....

Thanks!

TNSweetpea

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,438 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping at B & Bs?

Tips are never bad manners AFAIC. If you dont want to leave a tip then a bunch of flowers or the host's favourite tipple would be much appreciated.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,619 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping at B & Bs?

I would never leave a tip at a B&B. It would feel wrong. If staying for a long time - more than 3 or 4 nights, I might give flowers.

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,557 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping at B & Bs?

Ask for their business card and tell them that you will recommend their place, particularly on TripAdvisor.

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping at B & Bs?

Tipping isn't really done at B and Bs....why not a wee presnet after a few days.

I agree that recommendations are the best "tip" you can give anywhere!

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,411 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping at B & Bs?

In a B&B the people looking after you will most likely be the owners (with possible seasonal help from a local teenager or student). In a hotel you are looked after by employees. I think that is where the subtle difference lies. It just doesn't seem quite right to tip a business owner who as others have commented would probably prefer to hear you are going to tell others about how good their business is. An employee (while he will be pleased to know you are happy with the service you have had)will not feel awkward about being tipped.

That is how I see things anyway. Others may disagree.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,310 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping at B & Bs?

It would never occur to me to tip a B&B. No-one is going to stop you if you want to, but I bet it's only American visitors who do.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
190 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping at B & Bs?

Sweetpea,

I generally bring something from my home state as a host/hostess gift. Since I can't take jerky into the UK, this time I'm taking some Texas praline candy in a Texas shaped container. I arrive at Heathrow Thursday, 08/06 just in time for the Immigration workers strike!! I'm also taking some thimbles from Texas.

It might be just a coincidence but several of the B&Bs I stayed in last time had little knick-knack shelves with little souvenirs and several had thimbles on them.

I left a small bottle of whiskey (Scotch) the last time I visited a B&B in Prestwick, Scotland (2001) that went down well (pun intended!)

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping at B & Bs?

As an ex owner of a guest house I disagree with some posts. Quite a number of guest houses employ permanent as well as seasonal staff and I know for a fact that they appreciate tips as owners cannot afford to pay over the top wages. If you feel that you have been well looked after by a member of staff whether it be a hotel, guest house, restaurant or any of the other service industries then I'm sure you will understand, especially coming from America that people employed in these services sometimes rely on tips.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,438 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping at B & Bs?

Well said!!

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,477 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping at B & Bs?

Some B&Bs employ staff, some don't. You can normally tell if the person who cleans your room is the owner or a hired help. If the latter I would leave a tip if she/he has done a good job, just as I would in a hotel.