We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puffin watching!

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
18 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Puffin watching!

I am very keen to see Puffins and wondered if anyone can advise where in Scotland is best? I shall be flying from London so can go to Stornoway, Kirkwall or Shetlands.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Puffin watching!

I have seen puffins up close while fishing off the harbour at Granton in Edinburgh. The Seabird Centre in North Berwick may be the place to try as there are huge colonies of seabirds on the Bass Rock there. I have to admit not knowing much about the habits of seabirds but I presume the breeding season (whenever that is) is the time to go.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Puffin watching!

We saw puffins really close up when we went on an excellent boat trip from Lerwick at the beginning of August. We were told then that we were quite lucky to see them as it was near the end of the season so if you are thinking of going this year you may be out of luck. If you google "Seals and seabird boat trips Lerwick" you should get the website for the company that run the trips. It has a contact number on the website and I am sure they would be able to tell you the best time to see puffins in Lerwick at least. Good luck

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Puffin watching!

Shetland is one of the best places to see puffins.

There is a lot of information here:

nature-shetland.co.uk/birdclub/puffins.htm

One of the best (and easiest) places to see them is Sumburgh Head. Follow the road from the the airstrip to the lighthouse and look over the wall. They nest in the cliffs and you can often get very good views of them from different places along the road. Be patient if there are none around as they come and go all the time.

They arrive from March. But while they are nesting and incuabting eggs there may be little surface activity. The best time to see them is from June to end of July when they are feeding. They leave mid August.

Eleanor

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
18 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Puffin watching!

Thank you, Eleanor - very helpful! can't wait as have always wanted to see them.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Puffin watching!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. They are marvellous fun to watch. Each one has it's own individual character. In one place the burrows are quite close to the road and you can watch the puffins easily without binoculars. The best time is when they are feeding young as there will be a lot of activity. If they are still incubating you will need to be patient...

Shetland is a delightful place for a holiday - apart from the puffins.

Eleanor

6. Re: Puffin watching!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2010, 06:20