We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

new year weekend in the highlands.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Topic
new year weekend in the highlands.

Hi Guys,

Looking for some advice on where to visit over the new year. Im spending new years eve with family in Stone Haven and then will have 2/3 days to spend (possibly) in the highlands.

My questions are

1, Will it feasible to travel to the Highlands in Dec/Jan?

2, where would you advise we visit, I was thinking maybe inverness/Loch Ness for a day (but open to alternatives) and then onto somewhere else? We're flying back out of Aberdeen on the Sunday night so need to be within driving distance.

Thanks in advance

South Wales, UK
Level Contributor
368 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: new year weekend in the highlands.

Not a response, I'm afraid, rather the same sort of question.

We're looking to spend NYE somewhere in Scotland, but not in Edinburgh or anywhere where they have celebrations in the streets, etc.

We're looking more for a small town/village with lots of pubs and some scenery. Somewhere cold and crisp would be good.

I've looked at Aviemore, but most of the hotels are already booked.

Any suggestions very welcome.

Many thanks

Loch Ness
Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: new year weekend in the highlands.

Lets see if I can answer both questions at once:

Deadgoon: Stonehaven for New Years - great! I was there MANY years ago and it was pretty spectacular (lets hope the Health and Safety people haven't knocked the fireball ceremony on the head...I remember coming away rather singed but very happy!)

One point about driving in the Highlands in Winter...it gets dark...early....so plan anything that you want to see in daylight with this in mind when looking at your travelling times. Weather can of course play a part...the Rowans are heaving with berries this year and folklore says that that means a snowy winter.....but gosh, Scotland looks magnificent in the snow!

BUT - if you want to an overnight stay away from Stonehaven this gives you allot of scope to explore and makes many destination like Loch Ness & Inverness very doable with a proper amount of time to explore. Ideas of what to do and where to stay can be found on www.visitlochness.com

Jackie - A small but perfectly formed Hogmanay can be found at the Loch Ness Hogmany Festival in Drumnadrochit which WILL be happening this year with 5 days of events and the Big Street Party (OK - by big I mean a couple thousand people...)on New Years Eve with live music, pipe bands, dancing, fireworks, a cheeky dram or 6, food, etc - and many local hotels & B&B will be putting on New Years packages / specials and of course the pubs will be open....its family friendly and you will have a good hoolie whatever the weather (I speak from experience, tired dancing feet and a sore head !)

http://www.lochnesshogmanay.co.uk/

Whatever you choose to do - you can't beat New Years Eve in Scotland!

Stornoway, United...
Level Contributor
102 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: new year weekend in the highlands.

If you REALLY want to get away from it all for new years, how about Knoydart? I'd love to go one year just for a laugh.

Regarding travelling in the highlands in winter, I think it is one of the most beautiful times to come here if you like peace and quiet. Sure the days are short, but what better excuse to cosy up to the fire in the evening? The main roads very rarely close, only when there's an accident and that doesn't last long. Ferries accross the minch are a bit dodgy.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,515 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: new year weekend in the highlands.

Adelle's idea is great - they are real party animals on Knoydart, and you'd have a great Hogmanay! But if you've only got 2-3 days then it's a long trek from Stonehaven, possibly in bad weather. :-(

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
8,674 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: new year weekend in the highlands.

Grantown on Spey's Hogmanay Party in The Square is fast building a reputation as THE place to be in the Highlands at New Year. The Square is cordoned off so there is no thru traffic and there is a stage at the far end of The Square where the live music sets up. At midnight, one of the best firework displays ever kicks off the start of the New Year. I have heard visitors say forget Edinburgh, Glasgow, London, Sydney - Grantown on Spey wins hands down!!! Everyone joins in and joins up to try to beat the world record for the longest Strip the Willow up and down The Square. Its a great night - come and join us. There are several hotels in the town - The Garth, Ben Mhor, The Grant Arms(which is right in The Square and therefore has the best views!!) I am sure you will find a package to suit your needs and budget. To top it all Grantown is in a beautiful location surrounded by spectacular scenery and loads of wonderful walks in the forest or by the river to get rid of your hangover! - Come and join us - last year there were 5000 people in The Square at midnight - the towns population is 2000+ !

Happy 2010 when it comes

Woody x

6. Re: new year weekend in the highlands.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2010, 07:16