We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self-Drive with limited mobility around Highlands & Edinburg

London
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Self-Drive with limited mobility around Highlands & Edinburg

Hi,

My daughter is coming over from Australia next summer and we would like to do a self-drive (own car) tour around the British Isles. She was living in London when diagnosed with leukemia and almost died from a brain infection that has now left her with brain damage and limited mobility. The intention is to see as much as possible within a four week period to compensate for all that she didn't get to see before, as she spent over 12 months in a hospital as opposed to doing the planned tourist bits. She is a very keen photographer and I am sure will be mesmerised by the beautiful scenery.

I am thinking that we will drive across Wales and get a ferry to Ireland, drive around there and then catch the ferry from Larne to Scotland. Thinking of then driving up around the Lochs and Glencoe then across to Edinburgh. She cannot walk any great distance, so am not sure whether doing the major cities would work, as I can imagine driving in the centre would be not the best experience. Most of the tour will be seeing sights from the car, I think.

How much time should I allow? Any suggestions on itinerary? Accommodation (B&B - cheap) preferably with no stairs? Maybe stay somewhere in the centre of Edinburgh that is disability-friendly, but are there accessible tourist places in Edinburgh? Can we do the Castle?

Any other suggestions/ideas/advice would be appreciated.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,020 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self-Drive with limited mobility around Highlands & Edinburg

www.visitscotland.com

www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk

I'm afraid I don't have any special knowledge about travelling with a disability, but there may be links on those sites (both of which should help with planning a trip to Scotland). However, there is a forum called 'Travelling woth disability' on here. Look under All Forums.

Secondly, central Edinburgh is covered in cobblestones, so that may be a factor. I think the Castle has special entrances for wheelchair access, but its worth looking at their site for details.

The Edinburgh Hop-on Hop-off bus might allow you to see the bulk of the sights without the need for walking far.

On arrival in Scotland by ferry, you could also take in Culzean Castle in south Ayrshire, as you will probably be driving past it.

Your route could then go over the Erskine Bridge and along the A82 past Loch Lomond and on to Glencoe - some of the best scenery in Scotland.

One attraction that you might want to consider is the Falkirk Wheel. Not only is a stunning piece of engineering but the views form the boats are great.

If you have more questions, please do post. You'll probably get more answers during the week, when people are back at their desks and pretending to work :-).

Hope your daughter enjoys her trip.

alyth, scotland
Level Contributor
662 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self-Drive with limited mobility around Highlands & Edinburg

have a talk to the guys on

www.secret-scotland.com

they specialize in self drive tour itinerarys and can most lilely come up with a self drive tour (incl. B&B'swith ground floor rooms) that covers a lot of scenery & sight seeing without long walks.

in towns, check for 'shop mobility' - Dundee & Perth both have the scheme where you can rent a scooter to get around. Won't help in Edinburgh though - too many cobblestoned streets/hilly areas.

We have a disabled guest coming a few times a year, a very determined woman - into photography, castles and scenery - she takes her time and also very charmingly always seems to find 'help' when she needs to get across an obstacle.

3. Re: Self-Drive with limited mobility around Highlands & Edinburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2010, 06:17