We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glenshee, help please.........

lincs
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Glenshee, help please.........

Hi , we are comiing to Glenshee for Christmas, we have booked a log cabin not far away from the Spittal Inn. We are looking for somewhere close by to book in for Christmas Day lunch. The reviews on the spittal are awful, we had planned on going there!

We are a family of 2adults, son 13 and daughter 9. We have never been to Scotland before and are very much looking forward to it. Ive been told we should have snow??????????? I hope so? Any locals that could offer snow opinions?

Also , places to visit that are near by? We really are very new to this so any help would be lovely. Thanks x

north east
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glenshee, help please.........

We stayed at the Spittal of Glenshee hotel last feb - location is its biggest asset!! Personally would recommend either Blairgowrie or Braemar if you are looking for somewhere to go - obviously driving involved - alternatively there is a Tesco in Blairgowrie or you could do an online shop to be delivered to your log cabin and do your own Christmas Dinner. Snow would be good but don't expect it to be a certainty - normally late Jan for real snow - we were lucky mid Feb - had been really good all week -lasted the weekend but by the Monday it was practically gone - amazing the difference a few degrees makes. Check reviews for places in Blairgowrie and Braemar - both about 40 min drive if I remember right?

lincs
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glenshee, help please.........

Thanks very much for that, i will check into it.

Shame about the snow, the owner of the log cabin said he had been for the last 10yrs and has had snow at Christmas! Maybe its his way of selling it to you! :(

north east
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glenshee, help please.........

Well it is Scotland - if you don't like the weather just wait 5 mins and it will change!! We once went over the Spittal of Glenshee on the 1st of June and it was snowing - after a scorching weekend in Perth!! We did move to the north east of england in 96 so haven't skied as much as we did before - or been up to Glenshee as often -he could be right! I think last year the ski season did start earlier than usual. My parents used to go caravanning at Aviemore -often over new year as well and only once I remember them having problems with the snow - late 2000 I think (I was pregnant hence how I remember that New Year sober!!) I'm sure you will have a lovely time with or without the snow!!

lincs
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glenshee, help please.........

thanks so much im sure we will. It will be a very different type of holiday for us as we usually go to Florida with the kids, roll on next August!

lincs
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glenshee, help please.........

By the way , where are you living now then in the north east of england? We are in Cleethorpes.

north east
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Glenshee, help please.........

Ooo had some holidays there in the caravan too - 20 yrs ago!! We are in Whitley Bay so not that far away!

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,851 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Glenshee, help please.........

The Ski Club of Great Britain has a forecast of up to three days if that helps:

skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/…Glenshee

It's pretty wild in Scotland right now!

alyth, scotland
Level Contributor
660 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Glenshee, help please.........

would not have christmas day lunch at the spittal (check reviews for the place on tripadvisor)

better to book at Bridge of Cally Hotel - about a 30 min drive or at

Dalmunzie Hotel (about 15 min from the spittal of glenshee)

quite isolated up there - so do stock up in Blairgowrie before setting off for your cottage, Tesco and some rather nice independant shops

Farm shop for fresh local produce & some specialty foods, fish monger, great butchers (Irvine for pork products & best haggis in town) Kennedy for general meat products.

Brilliant cheese shop & Deli ( Mc Donalds) on the way to Glenshee - just out of Blairgowrie along teh A93

and even in winter - have an ice cream cone it's to die for...

9. Re: Glenshee, help please.........

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2010, 06:18