We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hillwalking accessible by public transport

Glasgow
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Hillwalking accessible by public transport

I am a keen hillwalker but do not have my own transport. Can you suggest some day or weekend walks that can be accessed by Public transport from Glasgow? I have completed The Cobbler and Ben Lomond previously and enjoyed thoroughly so something similar to this would be ideal. Thanks

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,814 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hillwalking accessible by public transport

Hi Graeme1980.

Later on in the year how about Ben Nevis?

You can go by Train or Bus.

I always stay at the Alexandra Hotel across the road from the train station.

I book the hotel with Easy Breaks which will have a advert in tomorrows Sunday Post.

It is about one mile or so to the bottom of Ben Nevis and a good warm up for the track up. Also a nice bar at the end on the way back.

ian480.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hillwalking accessible by public transport

Train to Ardrossan Harbour; ferry to Brodick; walk towards big pointy hill at the end of the bay (Goat Fell); head upwards for a couple of hours; enjoy the view and feeling of achievement; return to Brodick; retrace route to Glasgow or head for well-deserved pint of Arran Ale. Plenty more hills to explore if you have longer.

easy-peasy; lemon-squezy.

www.calmac.co.uk

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,613 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hillwalking accessible by public transport

Take a Fort William train from Queen Street station and get off at Rannoch or Corrour. Lots of excellent walks from either of these stations.

alyth, scotland
Level Contributor
656 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hillwalking accessible by public transport

Train to Perth & Bus No. 57 to Blairgowrie or Alyth

there join the Cateran Trail

www.cateran.org.uk

www.visiteastperthshire.co.uk

wild camping is OK along the trail, but with caution as you are most likely among loads of sheep/cattle & wildlife, several bothies & inexpensive B&B's available as well

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hillwalking accessible by public transport

Hi

Train from Glasgow to Bridge of Orchy - Ben Dorain and Ben Dothain are just across the track and the Bridge of Orchy hotel is there with comfy rooms and bar meals.

I haven't tried them but CNdo www.cndoscotland.com organise day (and longer) walks from Stirling to all over Scotland so if you can get to Stirling that would give you lots of options.

6. Re: Hillwalking accessible by public transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2010, 06:18