We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Scotland , first time, 25th anniversary

Georgetown, Ontario
Level Contributor
20 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Scotland , first time, 25th anniversary

My wife and I are visiting Scotland for our 25th anniversary. We will be driving up to Banchory from Lincoln, England (with a stop at St Andrews I hope(love golf). We will be spending two days at Banchory (with relatives) and then have booked two nights in Invergarry (Glen Albyn Lodge), two nights in Crianlarich (Ewich house), finishing up with 2 nights in Edinburgh. With so much to see and do we are looking for help in finding the ``don`t miss sights`` and breath taking views and walks in the areas we are staying in. Since we have hired a car, any day trip ideas would also help. Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,589 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Scotland , first time, 25th anniversary

Crianlarich is at an ancient crossroads.

South is Loch Lomond; east are the Trossachs; west is Inverary and Oban; and north is Glen Coe and Rannoch Moor. Stunning scenery in every direction.

It's also on the West Highland Way national trail. You could walk to Bridge of Orchy and get the train back, or get the train there and walk back.

Any number of hills to climb; waterfalls etc.

Personally, I love the little road that follows the River Orchy, just south of Bridge of Orchy. Mile after mile of unspoilt riverside,and rapids.

For a lovely drive - you could continue from the above road at Dalmally to Inverary; past the Loch Fyne Oyster Bar (also has shops on site); over the Rest and Be Thankful; past the Arrochar Alps; turn left at Tarbert and cling on to the edge of Loch Lomond; see the Falls of Falloch, have a pint in the Drovers Inn, and back to Crianlarich.

enjoy

Central scotland
Level Contributor
323 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Scotland , first time, 25th anniversary

Hi there, from Crianlarich there's two obvious options. North to Glen Coe and south to the Trossachs national park and Killin. You could drive down to Kilmahog and take a circular route around the trossachs, via Loch Katrine, back to Callander. It is beautiful countryside.

Georgetown, Ontario
Level Contributor
20 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Scotland , first time, 25th anniversary

Thanks for your quick and insightful tips. We will definitely follow up on your choices. Is it worth us heading over to Oban one day and then working way back

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Scotland , first time, 25th anniversary

A website I find very useful for planning things to do and see is Undiscovered Scotland:

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/

Pull up the map of the area you are interested in. Click on the red links off the map pages for text pages with pictures and information. Then follow the green links off the text pages.... It will give you lots of ideas.

This is the page for Crianlarich

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/crianlarich/crian…

Eleanor

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Scotland , first time, 25th anniversary

The drive west past Loch Garry is lovely. Nobody was on the Single track road the day I explored it. It was stunning. I also would recommend driving west toward Kyle of Lochalsh. You can go over to Skye and get a peek at the Cullins. Also, on the south side of Loch Ness near Foyers there is nice waterfall and walks. If you go south toward Fort Williams, stop off at the Commando Memorial, near Spean Bridge. It's quite moving.

Pam

6. Re: Visiting Scotland , first time, 25th anniversary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2010, 07:16