We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

scotland and ireland

Ridgeway, VA
Level Contributor
129 posts
176 reviews
Save Topic
scotland and ireland

I am just starting to look into the possibility of a trip to Scotland this summer. We are thinking of spending about 9/10 days. Being that I am somewhat ignorant of Scotland, what is the chance that we can enjoy both Scotland and Ireland in such a short stay? Can we do both or would we be better off to focus on Scotland only?

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,483 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: scotland and ireland

Hi, it really depends on what you want to do and see, and how you will be travelling. There are regular flights between Edinburgh or Glasgow and Dublin or Belfast (all take about 1 hour aer lingus, ryanair or easyjet) and some flights between Edinburgh and Shannon in the South West of Ireland (Ryanair).

However, there is more than enough in Scotland to keep you busy for a 10 day holiday- a few days in Edinburgh then maybe a driving tour of the Highlands for scenery, castles and lochs? www.visitscotland.com or www.secret-scotland.com for some starting ideas.

Hiring a car is highly recommended to see the best of Scotland but not absolutely essential as there are good rail links between the main parts of the country. www.theaa.com for journey planner.

The weather in both countries is about the same- however the currencies and cost of living are different.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: scotland and ireland

You can, and many people do, do both in 10 days, but to be honest they end up seeing everything through a car or train window. There is no time to settle and enjoy a place. The danger is you end up trying to cram so much in that you don't really have time to see anything.

Much better to just do one country and spend 10 days there. Even with 10 days you will hardly scratch the surface - as there is so much to see and do in Scotland - and Ireland.

I find the Secret Scotland web site mentioned by the previous poster excellent for giving ideas what can be done and seen in the time available.

Once I have decided on an area to visit, I like the undiscovered Scotland web site:

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/

Click on the map of the area you are interested in and follow the red links for text pages with information and photos. Follow the green links off the text pages.

Eleanor

Brazil
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: scotland and ireland

I'm not really replying ... is that i'm going to London this summer, i'm going to spend 21 days there and i'm absolutely in love with Scotland and Ireland and i'd like to know if there are trains leaving daily from London to those places. Thank you.

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,483 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: scotland and ireland

Yes there are numerous trains (and flights) daily from London to Scotland. Best value is to book train in advance when tickets become available 12 weeks before travel.

If you look at a map you will see that the Irish sea separates the UK from Ireland so you need to get a plane or a ferry to travel between the two. There are regular flights from London (any airport) to Dublin and other Irish airports.

Brazil
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: scotland and ireland

Thanks!

Ridgeway, VA
Level Contributor
129 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: scotland and ireland

Thank you for your help. Can you clarify the cost of living? It looks like Scotland would be more expensive based upon the currency conversion to pounds versus euros in Ireland. Do things cost less in Scotland to make it more financially attractive?

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: scotland and ireland

I live in the UK, I always think things seem more expensive in the Irish Republic, and no, I dont think you can do both countries in 10 days, unfortunately, you have to pick one, they are both great!!

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: scotland and ireland

With 9-10 days (and remember you loose one arriving and one departing) I'd stick with one. My personal preference would be Scotland!!! I'd suggest 1-2 days in Edinburgh, 2 or 3 in Aviemore, 3-6 days in Inverness and 1-2 in Glasgow (cut days here or there to make your 10 or drop Glasgow or Edinburgh). From Aviemore and Invereness there are lots of wonderful day trips. This itenerary can be done by train (or driving- though we have never wanted to drive in the UK). Let me know if you want day trip suggesstions.

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,483 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: scotland and ireland

Without working out a 3 way currency exchange it is hard to be specific about costs but something that costs £100 in UK is likely to cost €140 in Ireland. Generally the cost of eating out, travel, souveniers, entry to attractions etc is higher by about 20% than the equivalent in the UK (for us anyway) but the currency exchange may work differently against the US $

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,863 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: scotland and ireland

Hi, the cost of living is higher in the Republic of Ireland as oppossed to the UK, as witnessed many times on this forum with posts about Irish citizens crossing the Border into Nothern Ireland (Ulster) to do their weekly shopping and filling up with petrol and booze etc.