We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cities in Scotland

Ardmore PA
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Cities in Scotland

Very early planning for a short visit to Scotland in July.

I vacationed in Ireland in 2009 and want to see Scotland this summer. In Ireland I did a mix of citties and countryside but in Scotland I will only have 5 days so I do not want to try to cram everything in. Is it better to do cities or countryside? Are cities in Scotland just like the rest of the uK?

Glasgow
Level Contributor
539 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cities in Scotland

It very much depends upon what you wish to see.

Scotland has a number of cities each with their own character.

How are you travelling into Scotland?

If you are arriving at either Edinburgh or Glasgow then you may wish to use one as a base which will give you plenty of options to visit other parts of the country.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,070 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cities in Scotland

How and where are you arriving in Scotland? this will give us an indication of what to suggest.

What is your definition of a City and how does it compare to your idea of what other Cities in the UK look like?

Glasgow is the Largest City with a Population of around 500,000 followed by Edinburgh the Capital with around 300,000.

They are only 45 miles apart and are connected with by a train every 15 minutes most of the day with a journey time of 48 mins, so if you stay in one you can visit the other.

Other Cities are Aberdeen, Dundee, Inverness and Perth with populations not even exceeding Glasgow between them.

You could base yourself in any one and be only 20 minutes by car or train from some stunning scenery as in the case of Loch Lomond and the Trossachs from Glasgow.

Edited: 26 March 2010, 16:32
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,730 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cities in Scotland

Edinburgh - "Athens of the North". Huge castle and open gardens in the centre. Medieval Old Town. Georgian New Town. Not like any other city.

Glasgow - Mostly Victorian era architecture in the centre. Vibrant, gritty.

Aberdeen - 'Granite city', most central buildings built of local grey granite. Large seaport.

ALL cities in Scotland have attractive countryside nearby with easy access. Its only about a 30 minute bus ride from central Edinburgh to the Pentland Hills.

Glasgow has the Loch Lomond & Trossachs National Park on its doorstep. Trains go Loch Lomond or the Clyde Coast.

Inverness, Dundee and Aberdeen have the Grampian Mountains within a few miles.

Ardmore PA
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cities in Scotland

Thank you everyone.

Sounds like the cities have huge character. You make me want to extend my stay.

I have no travel plans made yet so I can arrive wherever. Should I try arrive in Edinburgh?

Glasgow
Level Contributor
539 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cities in Scotland

I would arrive wherever is convenient/economical for you

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,070 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cities in Scotland

I think, but please check that USAir fly into Glasgow from Philly.

Other options are Continental from Newark to both Glasgow and Edinburgh or IcelandAir fly from some north American Cities to Glasgow every other day via Rekyavik.

you could also try KLM via Amsterdam or Aer Lingus to Dublin all with short connecting flights to Glasgow or Edinburgh.

7. Re: Cities in Scotland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2010, 05:17