We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sightseeing

coventry
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sightseeing

hi

Am looking to book a 5-6 day break in Scotland in July 2010, have decided to visit Callander first. Now should i spend all my time here and use it as a base. We want visit Loch Lomand, walk in the Trossachs National Park and visit the usual places around.

We would like to visit Loch Ness while we are in Scotland and Fort William. Question is do we stay in Callander use this as a base and drive to Loch Ness and Fort William, can you do Loch Ness and Fort William in a day route planner says 127 miles to Loch Ness from Callander. Or would it be better to have three or four night in Callander then move on to Fort William for the rest. Is there enough to see in Callander for four days or is three enough, is two or three days needed in Fort William. I believe you can vist Edinburgh by rail from Callander any views on this.

Thanks

TC

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sightseeing

Callander is not on the railway. You would have to drive to Dunblane (12miles) to pick up a train to Edinburgh.

Callander is a good centre for the Trossachs and if you have a car there is plenty to do and see in the area. You will easily fill up 4 days.

As well as Loch Lomond. you have access to Loch Katrine, Loch Earn, Loch Voil, Loch Tay.

Have a look at these two websites which have lots of information:

www.incallander.co.uk/index.htm#trossachs

www.incallander.co.uk/callander_scotland.htm

There is also a wealth of information here:

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/areacall/index.ht…

There are also some delightful small towns within easy reach - Dunblane, Crieff, Aberfoyle...

Inchmahome Priory in the middle of Lake of Menteith and reached by a short boat trip is a memorable excursion.

historic-scotland.gov.uk/propertyresults/…

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/aberfoyle/inchmah…

Do try and visit Castle Drummond Gardens. Your first view of them is even better than the picture on the web site. This is well off the usual tourist beat but is a delightful place. There are good loos in the car park but no refreshments unfortunately.

http://www.drummondcastlegardens.co.uk/

Callender to Loch Ness:

I use the AA route planner for all my journey planning.

http://www.theaa.com/route-planner/index.jsp

Callander to Inverness (so you drive along the length of Loch Ness) is 146 miles and will take about 3.5hrs without any stops. So yes it is doable in a day BUT would be a lot of driving. You probably would be better to relocate to Fort William. This is a couple of hours drive from Callander. Plan Day 4 so you end up there and spend the rest of your time there. This will give you plenty of time to 'do' Loch Ness.

You ask if 2-3days are needed for Fort William. For the town itself no, but the area yes - and a few more! There is Glencoe, Ardnamurchan, Mallaig, with the possibility of the ferry to Armadale on Skye...

There is some information here:

visit-fortwilliam.co.uk/an-online-guide-to-f…

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/fortwilliam/fortw…

So it is decision time as you will have to be ruthless in deciding what your priorities are and what you really want to see and do

Eleanor.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sightseeing

When I visited the Trossachs I took a ride on the steam boat that runs on Loch Katrine. If I were to do it again, I would rent a bike and the take the boat out and then bike back. It was a great day. Pam

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,671 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sightseeing

Hi, the boat Pam refers to is the SS Sir Walter Scott and is over 100 years old, you can rent bikes as she says but i would check if you can take them on the boat, this is Rob Roy country and Loch Katrine itself is Glasgow's water supply which is one of the softest drinking waters you will find.

4. Re: Sightseeing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2010, 06:18