We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route & things to do for 5 sleeps

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
178 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Route & things to do for 5 sleeps

Hi,

OH & self are driving down from Lake District and on self drive for 5 days in Scotland from 2nd May. I have done my Hotel /B&B booking in all these place and our itinerary is

Glasgow 1 Sunday night,

Isle of Skye 1 Monday night

Inverness 1 Tuesday Night

Edinburgh 2 Wednesday & Thursday Nights

Friday Train to Bath

I’d like you to advise me what are the best/ scenic routes to take to reach these places. Also en route if we can see any place, etc. besides Fort Williams, Loch Ness & Loch Lomond, which I’v read about ? I’v also got my Edinburgh Royal Castle pass.

Besides the route, can you recommend places to see and things to do in each of these cities/ towns too.

Also I’d like to visit a distillery? Where and which ones to visit without paying too much !

& yes most important I’d like to visit a pub and join local ceilidh as also try out some great Scottish good, please keep the names flowing.

Ps: I’m there in the 1st week of May so what will the temps be like?

Cheers !

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,727 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route & things to do for 5 sleeps

Temps in May? I've seen snow and 25C temps in the first week of May, so its hard to predict what it will be this year.

You have virtually no time for detours with that schedule, so I would stick to the main roads, which are very scenic in any case- eg, the A82 to Fort William, and any road to Skye in particular.

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,352 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Route & things to do for 5 sleeps

http://www.edinburghceilidhs.com/

http://www.ghillie-dhu.co.uk/

Check out the above sites for Ceilidh events on during your stay in Edinburgh.

May is a good month to visit Scotland as we get bright evenings and mild temperatures usually around 10-15 celsius so cold by your standards! However you could be lucky and get a "hot" day or two of around 20 degrees.

Check out www.undiscoveredscotland.com for details in the various areas on your itinerary to see what interests you along the way. You haven't got a lot of time to visit a distillery on Skye as you will be doing a lot of driving on your plan. There is a distillery not far outside Edinburgh which you could visit scotlandwhisky.com/distilleries/…Glenkinchie

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
178 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Route & things to do for 5 sleeps

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your reply. I know the itinerary is a bit tight but we plan to do our sightseeing while we are going from one place to another. Would appreciate if you could tell me roughly what route to take while going from Glasgow to Isle of Skye i.e. where all to halt besides Fort Williams, when shld I take the ferry, etc. and also while travelling from Isle of Skye which sights to see can on route and then reach Inverness.

I mean i read that ther are a lot of castles / loch's/ views to be seen on route but not sure which one come where.

Also w/r the distillery can I see it on the way to Edinburgh from Inverness or anything else around there as I will have the car for that day.

Thanks for the ceilidh links but find that no gig is taking place on the Wednesday & Thursday I’m there .

Apologies for being persistent about the sights to see and routs but I have only you guys to rely on making my trip a success.

Cheers,

M

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
178 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Route & things to do for 5 sleeps

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your reply. I know the itinerary is a bit tight but we plan to do our sightseeing while we are going from one place to another. Would appreciate if you could tell me roughly what route to take while going from Glasgow to Isle of Skye i.e. where all to halt besides Fort Williams, when shld I take the ferry, etc. and also while travelling from Isle of Skye which sights can on route and then reach Inverness.

Also w/r the distillery can I see it on the way to Edinburgh from Inverness or anything else around there as I will have the car for that day.

Thanks for the ceilidh links but find that no gig is taking place on the Wednesday & Thursday I’m there .

Apologies for being persistent about the sights to see and routs but I have only you guys to rely on making my trip a success.

Cheers,

M

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,727 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Route & things to do for 5 sleeps

Take the A82 road Glasgow - Ft William.

Then head to Kyle of Lochalsh and take bridge to Skye.

Read undiscoveredscotland , as mentioned above.

6. Re: Route & things to do for 5 sleeps

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2010, 05:18