We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 weeks in Scotland w/mom(82)&sis-starting in London then???

canadian rockies
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
2 weeks in Scotland w/mom(82)&sis-starting in London then???

We will be travelling in September, starting in London for a couple days and then travelling by train to a starting point in Scotland (?) where we will hire a car and begin. Mom is 83 so not too much hiking.

We are coming for: scenery (coastlines, cliffs, rolling hills, small villages etc) and history (castles, etc.)

Scotland looks so amazing, hard to know where to start. Any itinerary suggestions. Not sure how much to try and squeeze in.

Also are B&B's the way to go if trying to keep our lodging budget to aprox 50 GBP/pper/night?

Any recommendations for car rental companies?

thanks so much.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
North Berwick...
Destination Expert
for East Lothian
Level Contributor
740 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 weeks in Scotland w/mom(82)&sis-starting in London then???

Train to Edinburgh and then stay there for a while. You can see Glasgow by train for the day. When you are ready to leave, you can hire a car in Edinburgh. Europcar is convenient at the train station, but I don't know how their rates compare to other companies. You could also easily all go out to the airport for car hire. It is much easier to exit the city for points further north & west from there.

As a starting point for your itinerary, I recommend Callandar/Perth then venture north west and/or through Argyll and Bute. B&B's are lovely choices and you can read reviews here and make decisions on accommodations once you decide on your route. Or, you can be more flexible and book as you go using the Scottish Tourist Information offices dotted around the country in convenient spots.

This is only a start, but you need to do some homework now and get back to us.

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Perth
Perth
Perth and Kinross, UK
Argyll and Bute
Argyll and Bute
Scotland, UK
East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
10,753 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 weeks in Scotland w/mom(82)&sis-starting in London then???

"We are coming for: scenery (coastlines, cliffs, rolling hills, small villages etc) and history (castles, etc.)"

For all of the above you could do worse than make Fife your base for a week - maybe heading up north as crewsaustin suggests for the second week - or vice versa.

St.Andrews and the area surrounding it has all of the things you are looking for and The East Neuk of Fife is a charming area with little fishing villages like Pittenweem, St. Monans, Elie, Crail, Anstruther, Lower Largo etc.

www.visit-standrews.co.uk

visitdunkeld.com/tour-east-neuk-of-fife.htm

You may enjoy the likes of Falkland Palace which is a beautiful old historic building belonging to the National trust for Scotland, and the village its in (Falkland) is well worth a wander round as well

www.nts.org.uk/Property/93

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/falkland/falkland…

That will give you something to look at and see if its for you - by the way loads of B & B accommodation in St.Andrews AND in the East Neuk - or have you considered renting a holiday property for a week which may work out cheaper and be perhaps more comfortable for your Mum?

www.holiday-rentals.co.uk

and put St.Andrews in the search box

Best wishes

Woody x

Edited: 08 April 2010, 13:58
Mentioned in this post
B+B Edinburgh
B+B Edinburgh
772 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
St Andrews
St Andrews
Fife, UK
Fife
Fife
Scotland, UK
Pittenweem
Pittenweem
Fife, UK
St Monans
St Monans
Fife, UK
Elie
Elie
Fife, UK
Crail
Crail
Fife, UK
Anstruther
Anstruther
Fife, UK
Falkland
Falkland
Fife, UK
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
canadian rockies
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 weeks in Scotland w/mom(82)&sis-starting in London then???

thanks so much for your advice. I have not yet explored some of the areas you have talked about. I'll be back in for more advice, I'm sure.

canadian rockies
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 weeks in Scotland w/mom(82)&sis-starting in London then???

I appreciate your input very much. Thanks again.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 weeks in Scotland w/mom(82)&sis-starting in London then???

If you can cope with the drive, head north west towards Lochcarron and around Glencoe. It's incredible and if you are going for scenery there's nothing quite like it. Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Lochcarron
Lochcarron
Ross and Cromarty, UK
Glencoe
Glencoe
Scottish Highlands, UK
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 weeks in Scotland w/mom(82)&sis-starting in London then???

A few years ago I took my nearly 80-year-old parents to Scotland for a visit. They had both been their before, so this was a farewell tour. My dad was not up to walking far as he had hurt his foot prior to the trip, but we had a great time. We headed straight off to Orkney as my mom's dad was from there. I still would recommend Orkney, but if you want to, go I would recommend flying from Edinburgh and then working your way south.

Inverness is another good base. You can go east, west, north and south from there for a number of day trips. If you watch the weather, you'll be able to dodge showers. South from Inverness are the Cairngorm mountains, to the west you have Loch Ness and even as far as Ullapool for a day or down toward Kyle of Lochalsh and Castle Eilean Donan. To the north is Dornoch and Dunrobin Castle. There is also a Broch you can visit.

I would second going to the Perthshire. There are some beautiful drives. I love Dunkeld. There are some short walks there that you might enjoy. I also liked Aberfeldy. Check the web and see when their music festival is to see if it coincides with your trip. It was a high point for me one year. I got to meet Aly Bain the great fiddler from Shetland.

You might enjoy Pitlochry. There is the festival theater there that might have something playing that you would enjoy. I liked the Explorer's Garden. Blair Castle is good and it's nearby.

I've stayed in B&B's and small family hotels. I used Auto Europe to rent my cars. I've picked them up in Edinburgh and Inverness. None were a problem.

Pam

Mentioned in this post
Cairngorm Hotel
Cairngorm Hotel
843 Reviews
Aviemore, UK
Loch Ness
Loch Ness
1,258 Reviews
Loch Ness, UK
The Blair
The Blair
756 Reviews
Kilwinning, UK
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Orkney Islands
Orkney Islands
Scotland, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Inverness
Inverness
Scottish Highlands, UK
Ullapool
Ullapool
Scottish Highlands, UK
Kyle of Lochalsh
Kyle of Lochalsh
Lochalsh, UK
Dornoch
Dornoch
Caithness and Sutherland, UK
Dunkeld
Dunkeld
Perth and Kinross, UK
Aberfeldy
Aberfeldy
Perth and Kinross, UK
Shetland Islands
Shetland Islands
Scotland, UK
Pitlochry
Pitlochry
Perth and Kinross, UK
Europe
Europe
World
canadian rockies
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 weeks in Scotland w/mom(82)&sis-starting in London then???

thanks so much for the terrific advice.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,812 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 weeks in Scotland w/mom(82)&sis-starting in London then???

OP, as you are obviously still watching this thread, I'll chip in with a late contribution.

The first thing you mention in your 'wish-list' is scenery. Although the places suggested above have much to recommend them, IMO the finest scenery in Scotland is in the west - the Highlands and Islands.

You could take the train from London to Inverness (night sleeper or day train), pick up your hire car there, and head west along Loch Ness towards Skye. The west coast between Ullapool in the north down to Mallaig, including Skye itself, would tick all your boxes.

B&Bs are the way to go, and in September (end of season) you will not have trouble finding places to stay.

Plenty of good car rental companies - try Arnold Clark.

Have a great trip, wherever you decide to go.

Mentioned in this post
Loch Ness
Loch Ness
1,258 Reviews
Loch Ness, UK
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
London
London
England, UK
Inverness
Inverness
Scottish Highlands, UK
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
Ullapool
Ullapool
Scottish Highlands, UK
Mallaig
Mallaig
Lochaber, UK
canadian rockies
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 weeks in Scotland w/mom(82)&sis-starting in London then???

Thanks so much. Now that I have had much more time for my homework - I've revisited all of your thoughts and feel confident that I've chosen some terrific stopping points. I appreciate all the great feedback.

10. Re: 2 weeks in Scotland w/mom(82)&sis-starting in London then???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2011, 05:15