We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour of Scotland

NJ
2 posts
Save Topic
Tour of Scotland

Hi all,

I want to send my parents and their sibling to Scotland. They will fly in on Monday July 26th evening and fly back on July 30th Evening. What can they resonably cover in that itme? What should they see? Is it better to use public transport of drive? Can they get a cottage and just drive around scotland and back to a central place? Any advice is helpful.

Thanks,

Kush

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,901 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour of Scotland

It's hard to advise without knowing what they are interested in. However, it would be unrealistic to expect to see much of Scotland in such a short time. One practical option would be simply to stay in Edinburgh for four days and maybe take a couple of day trips to places like Stirling or St Andrews.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,763 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour of Scotland

Hi Kush,

You make it sound as if you want your parents out the country for 4 days! :-)

"What should they see?" - They should see what they want to see. Are you sure they want to visit Scotland? What are they interested in? Museums, architecture, bridges, distilleries, mountains, lochs, castles, ferries, islands, wildlife?

"Is it better to use public transport...?" It depends - where do they want to go? have they driven on the left before?

Kush - I think YOU or your parents need to do some research, if yo expect sensible advice.

If you read your post again and replace "Scotland" with "USA", does that show how vague your questions are?

I'm not trying to be rude. You can read my other posts if you want some information on Scotland, but please help us help you by framing your questions a bit better, and providing some basic information like interests, budgets, etc.

With that amount of time, I'd stick to the city where they land a day trip or 2 to the surrounding countryside.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
539 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour of Scotland

"They will fly in on Monday July 26th"

Fly in to where?

And at what time of day?

Once a starting point is established then much more info can be forthcoming, based of course on what they like. (as peterscot has said)

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,547 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour of Scotland

At that time of year - high season - they will only be able to rent a cottage for a full week, normally Saturday to Saturday. There are loads to choose from but you need to work out where to rent. It might look like a small country on the map but it takes a long time to get places on some of our roads.

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,259 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour of Scotland

Agree - with that short a time base them in Edinburgh and take it from there - Scotland is a BIG country!

Woody x

NJ
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tour of Scotland

Thanks for the info. This helps me get started.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
440 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tour of Scotland

Hi Kush

if you could be a bit more specific, I'm sure lots of people would be glad to help you out.

What I will say is that it's a popular misconception that Scotland is just a piddly, wee country stuck on the top of England, maybe about the size of New Jersey. In actual fact, over 60% of the UK's coastline is in Scotland, so it's much longer than England, Wales and Northern Ireland put together and at over 6,000 miles, is around half the size of the USA's coastline. It's a very complicated coastline with areas only accessible by boat or a very long walk, with hundreds of islands, but with places of interest all over. Consequently, there are an awful interesting places to go and things to see in what is rated by many to be the most beautiful country in the world.

I hope this helps you a bit regarding perspective and will gladly help out if you can be a bit more specific.

All the best!

Edited: 11 April 2010, 22:19
Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,259 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tour of Scotland

>In actual fact, over 60% of the UK's coastline is in Scotland, so it's much longer than England, Wales and Northern Ireland put together and at over 6,000 miles, is around half the size of the USA's coastline.<

Wow McTut - that's a great piece of information...and you are so right that we look tiny on the map compared to the rest of the world but I have been living here nearly 60 years and I still haven't seen all of it so 4 days can barely be a blink of the eye!

Woody x

9. Re: Tour of Scotland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2010, 05:18