We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Availability of B&B

8 posts
Save Topic
Availability of B&B

We are going to travel to Scotland for one week at the beginning of June. We are going to drive to Inverness area and do some walking there for a couple of days. After that we have no definite plans, just touring around. We have booked B&B for the first three nights. Can anyone tell if we should make all the bookings in advance or is it easy to find accommodation there?

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,855 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Availability of B&B

Hello FellHiker - and welcome to the forum

To be honest - this is a difficult one to answer. If you get the answer

"No need to book there will always be somewhere"

and there isn't - won't you be cursing?!

If it were me, and I knew where I was going to be, then I would definitely book ahead. That way you know that even after a tiring days hiking you are sure where you are going to rest your weary head(and legs!) that night, and it gives you something to aim for instead of aimlessly wandering around!

It also means YOU are choosing where you want to stay and don't have to put up with second best. In some more remote areas you may find that the world and his wife have already booked all the (decent) places!

You say you have no definite plans but ask if will be easy to find accommodation there - but where is there? Better to have some idea of where you may end up and suss out the availability in advance. At least then you will know what is on offer, whether you book in advance or not.

Have a great trip - June is such a great month with all that daylight and hopefully some decent weather

Woody x

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,992 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Availability of B&B

For peace of mind and a better selection you could book ahead but at the beginning of June you should not have much trouble finding B&B.

(Edit: Sorry Woodybark, I posted at the same time as you.)

Edited: 14 April 2010, 09:48
Crathie
Level Contributor
874 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Availability of B&B

As an ex-B&B proprietor myself I would always advise anyone to book ahead, no matter what time of year. It only needs an event such as a wedding or golf tournament to have everything booked up for miles around. Especially in smaller towns/villages. Bad weather can also force those who would camp into B&B and Guest Houses, further limiting available accommodation. I've known that to happen.

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,855 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Availability of B&B

That's OK Alex_Andraya - Great minds think alike!

W x

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Availability of B&B

Alex said <<For peace of mind and a better selection you could book ahead but at the beginning of June you should not have much trouble finding B&B.>>

I appreciate you're a local, but the time I travelled right through scotland, first week of June as it happens, (and isn't often that a school holiday week??) I was thankful we had prebooked because of the number of 'no vacancy' signs we saw everywhere, Loch Lomond and Fort William being two I recall with a lot of such signs. Making our bookings around jan-mar ,we got some replies saying places were already booked for the dates we wanted.

I'd agree 100% with Woody's post, why take second best, and also spend a fair bit of your holiday time searching for B&Bs or ending up in substandard accom?

8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Availability of B&B

Hello,

Thanks for your advice everyone! Yes, it seems sensible to make more detailed plans and book in advance. That's what I usually do when travelling. This time I thought it would be nice to move around without too much planning but, as Woody kindly remarked, then we wouldn't always have the choice. Spending hours for searching accommodation is not the best way to spend a holiday.

BTW we are going skiing in Lapland next weekend camping in a tent - no worries about accommodation :)

7. Re: Availability of B&B

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2010, 07:17