We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cruise ship tours- British Isles

los angeles...
Level Contributor
45 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
cruise ship tours- British Isles

We are sailing on Princess in July to the British Isles and need some info. on the ports of Greenock and Invergordon. In Greenock the ship offers:

1. Invernary Castle and Luss

2. Glasgow

3. Loch Lomond and Luss

In Invergordon

1. Cullodon Moor, Loch Ness, Beauly

2. Inverness on own

3. Foulis Castle

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. I want to see the charm and beauty of these areas. Thank you in advance.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,026 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cruise ship tours- British Isles

The CruiseCritic (TA owned Cruise Forum) shoud be your first port of call!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/

Glasgow is a City, a good city, but if you want countryside, then from Greenock you want either tour 1 or 3

Inverness is a cute town, but again if you want countryside, then I 'd go for the Culodden tour, and read up on the battle and the Highland Clearances before you go.

Edited: 13 May 2010, 02:12
los angeles...
Level Contributor
45 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cruise ship tours- British Isles

Thank you

Glasgow
Level Contributor
2,713 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cruise ship tours- British Isles

From Greenock the tour to Inveraray and Luss is an attractive option which will let you see a bit of Scotland.

There is also a lot to see in Glasgow but you don't need to take a tour.There are frequent trains from Greenock to Glasgow Central station and the city itself is compact and easily walkable.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
9,773 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cruise ship tours- British Isles

It depends on how much these tours cost and how many of you and what extras do you get like a cruise on Loch Lomond for instance or Lunch at a pub!

if neither then providing there are say 4 of you then it might just be as cheap to take a taxi from Greenock to Loch Lomond and back costing around no more than £50 in my estimation.

Glasgow can be reached under your own steam by train for only £7 return with a journey time of only 43 mins and 3 trains per hour, but again what are they offering when in Glasgow itself in the way of Guided Tours and Lunch.

What are the costs they are qouting if you don't mind telling us?

los angeles...
Level Contributor
45 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cruise ship tours- British Isles

The tour of Inverary Castle and Luss is 8 hrs. total. The price is $169 USD per person. It includes lunch. Glasgow is only for transportation and it is 6 hrs. and $69 USD per person. There is only my husband and myself. We can only do one of these. Which is the better place to see? Thank you for your response. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
9,773 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cruise ship tours- British Isles

Ouch! those prices are eye wateringly high, no wonder we are known as rip off Britain?

So let me see they are charging you £48 each to be bussed up to Glasgow and left to your own devices where as the train is around £7, madness!

The other trip to Inverary Castle and Luss while still OTT price wise is something that cannot be easily done by public transport so if this is what you decide then you will have to pay it but at £118 each is scandalous.

Last year in Cuba I paid £48 each to be taken on a Catamaran to a desert island with Snorkeling among coral on the way and an open bar all day with lunch on the Island, thats what I call value.

los angeles...
Level Contributor
45 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cruise ship tours- British Isles

Thank you all for your replies. We knew going in that this cruise would be expensive. With that said, as we can only pick one tour, which would you recommend?

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,607 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cruise ship tours- British Isles

It depends whether you want city or country. Glasgow is a historic city, very interesting though not, perhaps, as beautiful as Edinburgh. If you decide to go there, just hop on a train and save yourselves a load of money!

The other two tours are rural. Personally I would go for Inveraray and Luss - as well as visiting those places you will pass some wonderful coastal scenery, at Loch Lomond, Loch Long, over Rest and be Thankful, and along Loch Fyne to Inveraray.

But those prices are shockingly expensive - ouch! If I were you I'd be looking up Greenock taxi companies on www.yell.co.uk, and getting a quote for hiring a car and driver for a day. Even for two of you, it might work out cheaper than 2 X 118GBP, and if you get together with one or two other like-minded passengers, you should save a lot of money!

Good luck!

Crathie
Level Contributor
801 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: cruise ship tours- British Isles

The website for Inveraray Castle is http://www.inveraray-castle.com

You may want to have a look, if you haven't already, to help you decide where to go and what to do. I recall seeing a thread on the Inveraray Forum about someone who left distinctly unimpressed and likened the place to a manor house, rather than a castle.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,026 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cruise ship tours- British Isles

Actually, madscotsman115, I think you will find that around the world, excursions arranged by cruise companies in the various ports are ALL dead expensive. It's not 'rip-off-Britain', it's 'rip-off-Cruises!!

I spend a fair amount of time on the Normandy forum too, and the charges for tours from cruises at Le Havre are equally scary!!

Have a look at the Cruise forum too and you will find this occurs everywhere.

WOW - this is my 4,000th TA post - WOOOOOOOOOOHoooooooooooo!

Love to all

EW

Edited: 15 May 2010, 15:06