We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tesco phones/SIM cards

Detroit
Level Contributor
46 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
tesco phones/SIM cards

Hi sorry for reposting as I originally posted in the wrong section. I'm wondering if anyone can help with a question regarding a tesco phone and SIM card. It seems the SIM cards are very affordable and a no-brainer. Instead of bringing over an unlocked GSM phone from the states, it seems Tesco sells very cheap (6 pounds!) cell phones. Am I missing something here: perhaps these aren't available for PAYG, maybe I will get ripped off having to buy a very expensive charger, etc.

If not this seems like the way to go as it would be convenient and cheap.

Also, would this phone/SIM card work for the latter part of my vacation in Ireland (south) or would I need a new one (phone or SIM card).

Thanks as always!

India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,432 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tesco phones/SIM cards

Hi there,

Just a week ago the cheapest phone a very basic Nokia was just under £10 ,this included a Nokia charger as well.

This was available as pay as you go, the SIM cards were 99p (I think). i have used the Tesco PAYG for many years now never had any problems at all.

Another great thing about Tesco is if you top up you get triple credit, so top up £10 and get £30, no catches.

Have a look at the website which give quit a lot of info.

http://www.tesco.com/mobilenetwork/

Any more help just ask.

India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,432 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tesco phones/SIM cards

.... there was a sim card in the box I do recall,

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,630 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tesco phones/SIM cards

The phones include a PAYG simcard, and UK charger.

Depending on the tariff (eg the cheapest PAYG might not allow roaming) you can use the phone in Ireland, but will pay roaming fees for incoming and outgoing calls.

Tesco Mobile = 02, so you can use 02 SIMs in their phones.

Detroit
Level Contributor
46 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tesco phones/SIM cards

Thank you for your help! It sounded too good to be true but definitely sounds like our best option. When I searched the tesco website there was only one tesco mobile location in edinburgh. Am I correct in assuming that not all tesco's will sell these phone/sims, just the ones that have the "mobile" icon? Thanks again!

Glasgow
Level Contributor
539 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tesco phones/SIM cards

Some Tescos have mobile shops but a lot of the standard size Tescos sell phones as well, so you don't necessarily need one with a mobile phone shop inside.

As has already been pointed out Tesco use the O2 network so the coverage is pretty good.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: tesco phones/SIM cards

The 'Tesco Extra' stores have a large choice of mobile phones. At cities such as Edinburgh there will be several Tesco Extras, the Tesco website will show their location.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
11,734 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tesco phones/SIM cards

Hi, I had a problem with my company phone last week (disconnected) so while I am waiting on it getting sorted out I popped in a Asda (Walmart) SIM Card which cost 50p and is aligned to Vodafone.

They also sell phones for as little as £10 and their calls are 8p a minute, it comes with a card that once you simply register it allows you to top up from as little as £5 virtualy anywhere that has the Top Up sign.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,872 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tesco phones/SIM cards

You can get an add on from Tesco mobile which will allow you to use the phone in Ireland at UK rates costs £1.99 / month. I use the system in Ireland so that the family can call me from UK at local rates and it doesn't cost me to receive UK calls. It might be easier to get the phone unlocked and get an Irish Tesco, Vodaphone or Meteor sim when you get here.

9. Re: tesco phones/SIM cards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2010, 05:17