We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Craig McCall Flynn at Mini Tours Scotland was awesome!

Madison, WI
2 posts
Save Topic
Craig McCall Flynn at Mini Tours Scotland was awesome!

My family recently visited Scotland from July 14th through July 23rd and contracted the services of Craig McCall Flynn at Mini Tours Scotland. He was absolutely fantastic! He took us on a tour of the Highlands of Scotland for 3 days. We visited Loch Leevan Castle, The Hermitage Waterfalls, Pitlochry, 2 whiskey distilleries, Loch Ness and Castle Urquhart, Fort George and Inverness. It was probably the best three days I have ever had on a vacation!

Craig was very knowledgeable about Scottish History, geography and politics just to name a few. The tour could be considered expensive by some, but it was well worth the money! I believe he charged 49 dollars a day per person. This is my first time posting to this site and I usually never do this, but it was such a good experience I had to let others know about it.

A previous post was started by my wife, but was removed because someone suspected Craig of posting an advertisement. I am very disappointed in the Trip Advisor community for not allowing my wife and sister-in-law the opportunity to express their opinions about our recent vacation. Moreover not every vacation experience is bad, maybe this guy Craig is the real deal. I sure think so!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,777 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Craig McCall Flynn at Mini Tours Scotland was awesome!

It would probably be more helpful to Craig if you posted a proper review, which won't then get lost in the mists of time as it may on the forum. What would make it ten times better is if you could add a photo or two to the review.

Here is the link you need to get you started:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g186525-d1…

Hope that helps.

Hope that helps.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Craig McCall Flynn at Mini Tours Scotland was awesome!

>> That seems like what a competent tour guide should do. <<

Unfortunately there are some guides who aren't competent, who swear at their groups and walk off and leave them in the middle of nowhere.

You could same the same about hotels "there is no need for glowing reviews as hotels should provide a clean comfortable bed". As, I am sure we all know, many don't !

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Craig McCall Flynn at Mini Tours Scotland was awesome!

The dynamics of the group are as important , if not more important, than the guide. I may be missing something but I think this is a group of people well known to each other who set out to have and did have a fantastic holiday. Great that's what it is all about....and the guide was a bonus.

Being a small group of 8 helps as numpty_keef points out. This is an important and very valid point. Seeing an area this way is a completely different experience to being on the standard coach trip with all the world and his wife.

The fact they got to places "we would have never found if we had not done a guided tour " could reflect the amount of reading and initial research they had done. Looking at the list given there was nowhere which isn't regularly flagged up on TA.

"He picked us up right on time " OK may be I am being facetious now - but surely any half competent guide will do this. Same with recommendations of places to eat and shop.

I'm delighted you enjoyed your break and I am sure you had a fantastic time but I am still not quite sure exactly what made the trip so different and special.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,416 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Craig McCall Flynn at Mini Tours Scotland was awesome!

Hi again

I was about to post again but Ronw in post #10 got in first with exactly my thoughts.

Not sure if you've found the search facility on TA, but if you do a search for Craig's tours there are a staggering number of endorsements from first time posters who are never heard of again.

These are people who have planned a trip to Scotland without ever having posted a query or asked for info, but who all subsequently manage to find the site to post a glowing review of their experience.

I'm not saying you didn't all have a blast and I'm delighted that there's someone providing a good tour.

I wonder how you all came across the site? Did Craig mention it?

Incidentally, I didn't report your wife's original post or ask to have it removed - I just said that I thought it was strange.

I'm emailing TA to see if we can have a review section for these tours as that's a more appropriate place for them rather than in the forum.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Craig McCall Flynn at Mini Tours Scotland was awesome!

"I'm emailing TA to see if we can have a review section for these tours as that's a more appropriate place for them rather than in the forum."

Thank you. This is what we were going to initially do, but we were unable to find a page just for Mini-Tours.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,416 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Craig McCall Flynn at Mini Tours Scotland was awesome!

Duh!

Just reread Purple's post #11 with a link. I didn't find it as it's listed under "MIni Day Tours".

Sounds like the same outfit though.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,777 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Craig McCall Flynn at Mini Tours Scotland was awesome!

GW I had a bit of trouble finding it too, but I don't think it's been there long as I tried to find it for someone before and failed. Maybe Craig should ask for it to be changed to Mini Tours instead of Mini Day Tours.

Calling Craig...... :-)

Edited: 03 August 2010, 15:16
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,645 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Craig McCall Flynn at Mini Tours Scotland was awesome!

TA are aware of the problem of companies and sightseeing tours claiming the top spots in many cities relegating the likes of the Tower of London and Edinburgh Castle to further down the "charts".

Some time ago they responded on the Help Us Make TA Better forum (yes such a thing exists!) that they planned to divide the Things to Do into attractions and companies. This hopefully will happen in due course. Hopefully it will also make it easier for people like the OP and their family to post on the review page rather than clutter up the forums with suspiciously positive (or indeed negative) reviews from first time posters.

It does seem that many tour operators and guides are aware of the power of TA and encourage clients to post positive reviews. Nothing against that in TA rules as long as no incentives are offered although I suspect there is a grey line that is sometimes crossed.

Apex, North Carolina
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Craig McCall Flynn at Mini Tours Scotland was awesome!

Just to post about how we found the site.....I was the one who planned the trip for the 8 of us using the help of this site and others.

I have been researching/lurking for a few years. I just don't post things.... Only a review or two about a B&B.

Level Contributor
3,391 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Craig McCall Flynn at Mini Tours Scotland was awesome!

Someone came onto a forum, and the first post was just a tonne of praise for a tour, with non context or background, so I complained as it looked like, and was for all intents and purposes an advert. If you want to praise someone/tour then good, but explain the context otherwise it looks understandably very dubious

Edited: 03 August 2010, 17:44