We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Souvenirs

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
387 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Souvenirs

Asked this question before my recent trips to Germany, Austria, and Italy, so I thought I would give it a try here as well. Got some helpful responses.

Will be in Scotland next year for the first time, and I'm interested in hearing about some unique souvenir ideas that would be representative of your culture.

Thanks for any insight you can give.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
503 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Souvenirs

Tablet

aberdeen
Level Contributor
1,750 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Souvenirs

A good single malt whisky, and a tartan tammie he he, just kidding.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,763 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Souvenirs

Well, tablet may well be a unique Scottish souvenir, but I would turn the question round.

What, surfriderCA, epitomises Scottish culture to YOU? Tartan? Whisky? Shortbread? Caber Tossing? Bagpipes? Kilt? Tam O'Shanters? Castles? etc.

What did you buy in those other countries you visited - something someone suggested, or something that resonated with you at the time?

I'm interested in what visitors to Scotland think of as Scottish culture. I'm sure it is different to what many Scots think....

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,993 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Souvenirs

A steak-and-Buckfast pie (although you'd have to eat it here, you wouldn't be allowed to take it home)

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Souvenirs

What about haggis? OK it would have to be tinned which isn't quite the same thing...

There is also a furry Highland cow (although check as it may well have been made in China).

alyth, scotland
Level Contributor
658 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Souvenirs

get a 'Spurtle'

unique Scottish cooking implement - as in wooden stick decorated at the top (usually in form of a thistle)

useful for stirring porridge, directing traffic, pointing at husbands

etc.

also not very heavy, inexpensive (available at most iron mongers, tourist information centres & cook shops) at about £3

each

always good for a conversation when handed over as a gift

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
7,664 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Souvenirs

Hi, what about a pewter Quaich? They are commonly used at Scottish weddings or given as a token of friendship.

scotweb.co.uk/gifts-and-home/…quaichs

Or something inspired by the designs of Charles Rennie Mackintosh - picture frames, jewellery, glassware, coasters etc.

http://www.justmackintosh.com/

Russell, Kansas
Level Contributor
586 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Souvenirs

My family and friends always like food items. Things we just cannot get here at home. Basically, I just fill my bags with Tunnocks Caramel Wafers and everyone is satisfied.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Souvenirs

i am sitting hear in my living room in Wisconsin looking at a wonderful piece of artwork that represents the west coast. I can turn my head and look at an etching of the Ring of Brogdar, I look another direction and I see the Cuilins and above them are the Pictish Warriors. Off to my left are the pictures of Stromness from the early 20th century that my grandmother had. These images are the best souvenirs.

Pam

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,937 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Souvenirs

>>Quaichs:They are commonly used at Scottish weddings<<

Really? I have never seen this.