We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northern Lights 2011/2012

Brisbane
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Northern Lights 2011/2012

We are planning a holiday to the UK in Dec/Jan of 2011/12. We want to spend a week in Northern Scotland in the hope of seeing the northern lights. Are the roads easy to drive on, at that time of year (we will hire a car)? Can anyone recommend a place to stay? We are thinking of renting a cottage for the week.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,919 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Northern Lights 2011/2012

The northern lights are a fairly rare phenomenon in Scotland, and need clear skies to be seen at their best - another unlikely occurrence in winter.

If the weather is OK (a BIG if) then the roads should be fine, but please see the recent posts on the weather recently, and check the BBC Scotland site.

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,983 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Northern Lights 2011/2012

Apparently the best time to see the lights is on winter nights with clear skies but I live too far south to see them.

Regarding the roads, this year and last we have had some of the coldest winter weather for years with many roads being blocked by snow. This is happening right now in the south of England, never mind Scotland. Some (most?) years even the high ski slopes struggle to get enough snow. Until a couple of years ago we were in series of wet mild winters so I am afraid no one knows what you will get next year.

(Sorry Peterscot we posted at the same time.)

Edited: 19 December 2010, 12:10
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,794 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Northern Lights 2011/2012

I grew up in Gairloch in the north west, and we routinely saw the aurora - but mainly just White lights. I think you need to go even further north to see the famed colour displays.

As the others have said, roads will be fine if the weather isn't horrendous.

Enjoy your trip!

Abs:)

4. Re: Northern Lights 2011/2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2011, 05:18