We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your favorite spots

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
394 posts
268 reviews
Save Topic
Your favorite spots

Good morning, all, and Merry Christmas!

My wife and I will be travelling to Scotland for 2 1/2 weeks the later part of July of this year, ending with a conference in Glasgow starting Jul 25.

We'd like to spend our 8 or 9 free days touring the country north of a line between Edinburough and Glasgow. We generally avoid large city's preferring smaller places, farmers market, rural scenery, historic sites, etc. We are on the cuso of 60, not particularly fit (though a 2 or 3 mile hike is OK) but enjoy getting out and off the beaten track.

With that in mind, could you propose three places you think we would enjoy seeing? You can do more, or less, of course, but I don't want to burden anyone. If enough people send me their three favorite spots, I will have more than enough to fill my time, I'm sure. I'll track those on a map of Scotland and I'm pretty sure that will show me a great route to travel.

Forgot to mention, we'll be in a hire care - I have no problem with driving on the left.

Thanks so much, and happy travelling in 2011!

Kind regards

Late Day Traveller,

Ontario, Canada

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands
Level Contributor
17,956 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Your favorite spots

Tough question :-) Okay I'll add, a drive through Glencoe (my very favourite spot) flickr.com/photos/… Eilean Donan Castle flickr.com/photos/… and a beer in The Ben Nevis Inn http://www.ben-nevis-inn.co.uk/default.asp (after a nice drive through Glen Nevis with a walk at the end of the Glen).

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,311 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Your favorite spots

OK. Lunch at the Moulin Inn at Pitlochry, A walk in Glencoe, followed by coffee at the Clachaig Inn, and dinner and a bed for the night at Plockton.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
12,992 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Your favorite spots

Good morning and a Happy Christmas to you too!

1. Ditto Pitlochry for the town and Queen's View

2. The drive through Glencoe. Beautifully atmospheric

3. St. Andrews

Edited: 27 December 2010, 15:46
Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Your favorite spots

All of these are near Inverness:

Glen Affric, especially the Plodda Falls walk.

http://www.glenaffric.org/glen_affric.html

http://www.glenaffric.org/plodda_falls.html

Map and details of walk here:

walkhighlands.co.uk/lochness/Ploddafalls.sht…

Cairns of Clava

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/inverness/…

Fort George

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/nairn/fortgeorge/

Be warned one of the problems with an open ended question like this is that you will be inundated with ideas, all of which sound so good.....

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,515 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Your favorite spots

'....propose three places you think we would enjoy seeing.............If enough people send me their three favorite spots, I will have more than enough to fill my time'

Not sure my three favourite spots would necessarily be places you would enjoy seeing, Late-Day. I go for pretty remote places with precious few farmers' markets. But for what it's worth, here they are::

1. Jura

2. Canna

3. Knoydart

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,760 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Your favorite spots

Interesting idea.

1. Edinburgh, and specifically, the walk to the top of Arthurs Seat (Edinburghs very own mountain-in-a-city) gives fantastic views over the city and the surronding landscapes.

2. Gairloch, I'm biased as I've lived there - but this little village in the Northwest highlands is perfect to experience real Scotland. Golfing/hiking in forests, mountains, beaches/ pony trekking / whale watching - Gairloch has it all. Dinner at the spectacular Na Mara restaurant is also not tO be missed.

3. Maya chocolate shop, Strathpeffer - simply the best hot chocolate I've ever tasted. (Strathpeffer generally is nice to visit.

Hope that gives you some more ideas.

Abs :)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Your favorite spots

Hi

We just came back from our stay in October/November to Scotland and Ireland. Same age bracket, self drive.

My favourite stopover was a B & B in a wee village of Dornie which incidentally has Eilean Donan Castle as it's backdrop and is situated at the junction of the lochs.

We stayed 3 nights. Here we could be on the Isle of Skye in about 15 mins or so, drive up to Wester Ross area and around Shieldaig, the smaller villages, Lochcarron and lovely scenery around Torridon on Loch Torridon. There is also the very high drive across Wester Ross down into Applecross which we missed due to very heavy fog. On the way back we called into Plockton which is also about 20 mins from Dornie if travelling there for dinner.

I loved this area and it was nice to sit in the garden across the road from the accommodation, have a wine and nibblies and look across the loch to the hills. One pub, one shop...a lovely wee village near everything.The B & B has a shared guest kitchen and continental breakfast is provided.

Although not a village, Oban was another place we liked. Here you can get the ferry across to the Isle of Mull and Tobermorry.

Here is my review of Dornie accomodation

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowUserReviews-g1021303-…

Oban B & B accomodation

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowUserReviews-g186501-d…

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
8,673 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Your favorite spots

St. Andrews is a definite must! Try also to fit in Falkland Palace, its beautiful!

www.nts.org.uk/Property/93

Off the beaten track try Findhorn Valley(south of Inverness) for a lovely walk (easy, flat with a slight rise not a hill) and a superb place for a picnic beside the River Findhorn. For your SATNAV its IV13 7ZB and this will take you on the right road.

The drive through Glencoe for atmosphere is also a favourite. Stop and listen to the silence and tell me you cannot feel the ghosts of people long gone........amazing!

You have to visit Edinburgh - its at least 3 days worth of wonderful sights, buildings, atmosphere. I know that's 5 but 3 is cutting it too fine

Have a wonderful trip

Woody x

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,116 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Your favorite spots

I'd also say consider a visit to Oban and taking the ferry to Mull or Iona. A visit to the abbey on Iona is a wonderful experience and you can walk as much as you like along the beach. Take a look at this wonderful site, at least after you decide on an itinerary-- www.walkhighlands.co.uk

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Your favorite spots

There have been so many great places named! I would like to second Glen Afric. It's a beautiful place and while the walk around the Loch is lengthy, you can walk in and out easily and still enjoy the Glen.

I also love Perthshire. I've stayed in Dunkeld and enjoyed the walks in that area. I'm sure that you'll find some that are just right. I enjoyed Dunkeld's Cathedral, the little houses and the Music Bar, although it's been a few years since I've been there. Also in Perthshire is Aberfeldy. The walk, The Birk's of Aberfeldy is uphill, but not that hard. Also, you can drive out Glen Lyon which is beautiful!

I have to add Orkney to the mix. It's a long way north, but it has it's own beauty and the ancient sites are wonderful. You can't walk among the stones any more at Stonehenge, but you can at the Ring of Brogdar!

Have a wonderful trip.

Pam