We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Must see" in Scotland

Australia
Level Contributor
951 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
"Must see" in Scotland

We are planning a family holiday to Scotland for next year or the year after and I am looking for some help.

What are the must do's in Scotland that we really shouldnt miss. We have 2 boys aged 13 and 10 so looking for child friendly things as well.

My kids want to go when its snowing so they can see snow. Is this a bad idea as Im sure it would be very cold over there then. ?We are from Australia so used to plenty of sunshine.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,810 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: "Must see" in Scotland

No-one can predict if let alone when it will snow and you have the problem that when there's snow you might not be able to travel. There's GENERALLY some snow from the end of October to May on the higher mountains

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
26,501 posts
379 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Must see" in Scotland

Although Scotland can be just as stunning in the winter months if I was visiting from abroad I would go probably go for between April and September.

The Aviemore/Cairngorm area would be a good base for a few days (or longer) for a family holiday.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,810 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: "Must see" in Scotland

If OP goes in April then they'll get longer days and snow on the mountains - taking the Cairngorm funicular should get them above the snow line. Just avoid the Easter fortnight as things can be busy with children off school

aberdeen
Level Contributor
1,778 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Must see" in Scotland

Edinburgh and Edinburgh castle, Stirling and Stirling castle, Inverness gateway to the highlands, which can be done by train.

Then hire car and :- Beauly, cannick, drumnadrochit castle where nessie lives he he, fort augustus, Isle of Skye and outer Hebrides if you have time, then drive back to Inverness drop off car, train back to Edinburgh and your done.

Snow well if there is a light covering its very pretty however if its heavy your plans could turn into a real nightmare.

5. Re: "Must see" in Scotland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 January 2011, 18:05
The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
26,501 posts
379 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "Must see" in Scotland

A good family day out in the Aviemore area is also http://www.landmarkpark.co.uk/

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
11,293 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "Must see" in Scotland

What do you think you would enjoy seeing and doing(apart from snow!) Are you and the youngsters sporty - do you love historical sites - or wildlife - walking - mountain biking - fishing-distilleries? Let us know and then its easier to make suggestions. Also how long is your holiday - do you plan to stay in hotels or go self catering and presumably you will hire a car to get around?

Woody x

Australia
Level Contributor
951 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "Must see" in Scotland

wow thanks for all your replies.

I have no idea how long a trip we should take. However I dont want to make it too short and then wish I could have taken longer as we didnt see half the stuff we wanted to see. Also we want to spend a bit of time in London looking around as I believe we have to stop there anyway.

I would love to see ireland as well but dont know if I am trying to do too much ? we are thinking we could only take about 3-4 weeks away from our business.

I was born in Scotland so have some family over there.... We would like to do maybe 3 or 4 days catching up with family and then do the touring thing. My kids are pretty adventurous but I have a buggered back which restricts me from too much walking etc.

My husband wants to see a castle, kids want to see snow, I want to see the beautiful countryside, maybe the highlands? The boss also says we should go when some of the big events (got no idea what events LOL) but I said that would probably be in Scotlands summer and we wouldnt get to see snow probably.

I have no idea how long it takes to get anywhere but it looks small on the map LOL.

Does anybody think we could do Scotland/London/Ireland in 3-4 weeks? if not we would have to drop going to Ireland.

Cheers

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
13,356 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "Must see" in Scotland

I know you are the planning stage at the moment and as Woody says you would need to give us a rough ideas of what interests you, how much time you are expecting to spend in each area and how you are going to get around.

You could spend a fortnight in London alone and equelly the same up here!

Where is the relatives from as this may determine where you might start off.

Ireland just adds problems logistically as it is another Island and if it is the South then another Country with a different currency!

Your kids may want to see Snow, and there is no gaurantee that they would, but ask yourself if that is a good reason to visit the UK which will have limited Daylight hours and be wet and miserable, not my idea of travelling half way round the World at the cost of thousands of Dollars.

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
11,293 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "Must see" in Scotland

A fellow countryman of yours had quite a lot of input recently with their trip to Scotland last summer - perhaps reading this may give you some pointers - don't think they saw snow though!

tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDetail-i23198-Loch_y…

There is a corrie on the Cairngorms which hangs on to a little sliver of snow nearly all year - can't remember its name but you may just be lucky if you are in this area to catch a glimps of real snow! Here is the link to them if you want to send them a message although they are often on the forums

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/members/Niec

Woody x

Edited: 24 January 2011, 10:19