We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Preparing for Travel

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Preparing for Travel

With just 4 1/2 weekd left before my sister and I leave for our trip to Scotland, I find that I am getting very nervous. This will only be my second time on an airplane and my sisters first. We'll be coming from the U.S. on the west coast. How will such a long flight be? Will we be safe? What is the current attitude towards U.S. tourists?

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Preparing for Travel

We booked through Continental but most of the flights were United. They are merging aparently. We were able to see many places and do TONS of shopping. We started in Fort William. Went to Ben Nevis, almost to steall falls (the pathway wasn't very well marked and we went a long way on the wrong path. though we should have known when we had to hold onto a tree to walk accross the rocks in the water that something was up. :D) We took the train to Mallaig. Drove to Portree. Stopped at Eilean Donan Castle (the hours on the internet were not correct and we were 10 minutes late to get inside, but outside was really pretty) Drove around the top left side of skye and back to portree for an awesome road trip with many stops. Then drove to Stirling (it really does take a lot longer to get places over there) went to stirling castle, wallace monument, to the movie theater (oops I mean cinema) and was really surprised that there was assigned seating!! Visited TONS of shops and barely fit it all in our suitcases!!! Got a mini-kilt from a clan that is in my anscestory. :D Too much to say to write it all. We thought a kebab was a shish-kebab. Not so. LOL

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Preparing for Travel

Oh, and we found this small rectangle snack that was called jelly. It tasted pretty good!! Then I read the directions to dissolve in water. LOL Its Jello concentrate. Oops. Still, tasted yummy, LOL

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,130 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Preparing for Travel

Ah, the culinary masterpiece that is the Doner Kebab! Slices of elephant leg stuffed in a pitta bread with onions and chilli sauce. I'm salivating! Funny about the jelly as well :-) Jelly/jam, crisps/chips - should have bought an English/American dictionary!

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Preparing for Travel

re: "we found this small rectangle snack that was called jelly"

Should have tried it deep fried!

But seriously, glad you had a good trip. How did your sister survive her first flight?

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: Preparing for Travel

She enjoyed when we were in the air. Its the airports that got to her I think. The flights were harder on me than I thought they'd be. It was very hard to sleep. I slept a little here a little there for a total of 2 hours sleep. And by the time we got off a plane my bum hurt so bad I had to take asprin! We did try a deepfried mars bar. Yum!! And my sister ended up liking the tea so much that when we got back she gave up coffee and switched to tea!! Oh and once I ordered chili chips. Over here it'd be chili fries - fries with chili on them. But when I got my order it was a chili seasoning that was a little liquidy. Didn't like that. Oh, I did like black pudding better than haggis but please, don't tell me what's in it! I loved the porridge!! Super yummy. Oh and Irn-bru!! I wish they had that over here!! It was my fave drink!

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,304 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Preparing for Travel

Black pudding--good for you! And porridge--with cream and brown sugar. . .drool.

I'm headed for Fort William in about a month and plan to walk to Steall Falls too--I will definitely watch my way. Its probably good advice "If you feel you are about to fall to your death, you are on the wrong path."

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,145 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Preparing for Travel

Ah the joys of visiting another country - I remember the first time I went to the USA I was amazed at how many differences there were in our(same!) language. And the supermarkets were incredible so many choices of things I had never even heard of before - I love it! BTW I have NEVER tried a deep fried mars bar so well done you!! Black pudding is nice isn't it - even more strange because of what it contains!

W x

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Preparing for Travel

Funny how tastes differ according to where one's from, isn't it (and what one is raised on)? I just love black pudding (and do know what it contains) and the thought of bacon, eggs & black pudding makes my mouth water, but the mere thought of that American 'delicacy" - peanut butter & jelly (jam) sandwiches - makes me gag - just as I'm sure most Americans can't understand how we can eat Vegemite ;-) It's all these differences that make the world go around - it'd be such a boring place if we all liked the same things, wouldn't it?

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,771 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Preparing for Travel

Thanks for keeping us updated! Eating jelly blocks - euch! I hope your negative experiences with the flights won't put you off visiting again. :) Abs

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Preparing for Travel

re: "Oh and Irn-bru!! I wish they had that over here!! It was my fave drink!"

Liz, talk to your supermarket manager.

We spied some 2 weeks ago locally and bough a couple bottles. Someone is distributing it to the Atlanta area, perhaps Eugene too.