We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where do I stay between Stirling and Ft. William?

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
6 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Where do I stay between Stirling and Ft. William?

We are driving from Edinburgh to Ft. William. Glencoe OF COURSE is on the way (I drove thru here last summer from Glasgow, glorious, my fav part of Scotland). Where do I stay between Edinburgh and Ft. William? We hit a lot of construction work last summer (down to one lane) from Glasgow thru Glencoe, is it still going on? Or is reasonable to assume that on a Saturday we can drive 145 miles from Edinbugh thru to Ft. William in a day? Thanks for your help...

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Fort William
Fort William
Lochaber, UK
Glencoe
Glencoe
Scottish Highlands, UK
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
8,233 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where do I stay between Stirling and Ft. William?

I regularly drive Edinburgh to Fort William and it takes me around three and a half hours. Are you actually wanting to spend a night somewhere in between? Glencoe/Ballachulish/Onich would be my choice

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Fort William
Fort William
Lochaber, UK
Glencoe Cafe
Glencoe Cafe
705 Reviews
Ballachulish, UK
Onich
Onich
Lochaber, UK
Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where do I stay between Stirling and Ft. William?

You could stay on Loch Lomondside, which is just short of half way. It's very scenic and there are loads of accommodation options.

Leeds.West Yorks.
Level Contributor
600 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where do I stay between Stirling and Ft. William?

Hi

If you haven't fixed up a place to stay in Ft.William I can recommend Clan McDuff private hotel on the outskirts , see the postings on their site on here. We have stayed at this hotel twice and would go back again, it's a small family hotel, run by the people who built it in the 1960's, the staff are friendly, rooms are very nice and the food is very good. There are many other similar hotels along the same road, but on both occasions we have visited we have commented that the Clan McDuff's car park is always the fullest - always a good sign! Worth paying a little bit more for a loch view, the rooms at the front of the hotel are a little bit larger than at the rear

I also agree with 'thegoodwitch', Ballachulish would be a good stopping over point.

Edited: 02 March 2011, 12:12
Mentioned in this post
Fort William
Fort William
Lochaber, UK
Ballachulish
Ballachulish
Glencoe, UK
Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where do I stay between Stirling and Ft. William?

As thegoodwitch's says, 3.5 hours to drive it should be fine. I would not think of stopping off for a night in between the two - unless you actually want to stay at one of the places of course.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
6 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where do I stay between Stirling and Ft. William?

Thanks a lot....decided to stay near Bridge of Orchy for the night so we could spend some time admiring the scenery and not just drive!

Mentioned in this post
Bridge of Orchy
Bridge of Orchy
Argyll and Bute, UK
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
6 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where do I stay between Stirling and Ft. William?

We ended up staying at Bridge of Orchy Hotel - loved both our room and the restaurant!

Mentioned in this post
Bridge of Orchy Hotel
Bridge of Orchy Hotel
1,013 Reviews
Bridge of Orchy, UK
7. Re: Where do I stay between Stirling and Ft. William?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 22:18