We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Advise, please

Reston, Virginia
Level Contributor
331 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Advise, please

My wife and I are planning the following. Can I get input regarding this plan, is it too much to try?

Day 1 fly into Edinburgh, drive to Glasgow

Day 2 Glasgow

Day 3 drive up to Oban

Day 4 drive up to Skye

Day 5 drive over to Inverness

Day 6 drive down to St. Andrew

Day 7 drive to Edinburgh

Day 8 spend in Edinburgh

Day 6 drive over to a

kirriemuir
Level Contributor
31 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Trip Advise, please

What I find amazing in all this is your insistence on using a car. If you don't get out of the car, you won't be able to interact with people or places.

Cut the umbilical cord which seems to connect you to a car. Scotland is perfectly safe.

Level Contributor
3,398 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Trip Advise, please

Except the OP seems to be heading for areas notorious for the wild Haggis, that can give a nasty bite, cars offer safety if the OP heads where he is suggesting

Reston, Virginia
Level Contributor
331 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Trip Advise, please

Thank you- using the car has nothing to do with safety but more to using a vehicle to cover the most miles.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,318 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Trip Advise, please

Kevin has made some excellent suggestions.

For my 2 pence worth, there are two factors you need to take into account when driving in Scotland

1. We don't have many motorways. The routes you are travelling are single carriageways and you can easily get stuck behind a tractor for miles. At least you can admire the scenery going slowly past :-)

2. Petrol is extremely expensive. It is the equivalent to around $9 per gallon and in the Highlands, even more so you want to do this in as few miles as possible.

Elie, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,504 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Trip Advise, please

It is extremely difficult planning a trip when you don't know what you want to see but you DO know you just want to visit Scotland. I would advise your first 2 days in Edinburgh as has been suggested

a) to get over jet lag and

b) because its well worth two days. I have just come back from a weekend there and I'm still finding things to see and do even though I have been there many, many times.

Why not let the train take the strain (apart from the added expense of course) Mind you with fuel prices plus car hire it may not work out that much differently.

You could have day trips to the likes of Glasgow, Stirling and St.Andrews by train, and what about considering an overnight trip to Inverness if you really want to go?

Edinburgh is also a good base for doing perhaps a two day trip by coach - they pack in a lot on coach trips plus you don't have to worry about the driving or finding overnight accommodation. It can also be quite cold in April so bring layers, we may even still have some snow though I hope not.

You just need to sift through the advice you have been given, picking out the bits that interest you and do some internet research on them to see if they really suit your needs. Mind you you don't have a lot of time left - less than a month, so best get started!

Good luck

Woody x

Crathie
Level Contributor
859 posts
Save Reply
36. Re: Trip Advise, please

awards ~~ I have been thinking about your plea for people to make suggestions to you about what to see/miss on this trip of yours.

I think you could do worse than get in touch with a company called Secret Scotland who have already put a lot of care and thought into organising itineraries for people like yourself.

This is their website http://www.secret-scotland.com/

I have seen feedback on TA for Secret Scotland and it has all been positive. You might like to put yourself in their hands and ask them to organise an itinerary for you and make accommodation recommendations and so on. AFAIK they are not a booking agency, so you would have to do that part yourself.

Otherwise they can take much of the hard work out of organising a trip for you and from what others say, appear to be worth the money.

Hope this helps.

Reston, Virginia
Level Contributor
331 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Trip Advise, please

That is a great site. Much valuable information. Thank you for sending me to that site.

Crathie
Level Contributor
859 posts
Save Reply
38. Re: Trip Advise, please

No problem. Have a good trip.

39. Re: Trip Advise, please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 18:16