We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eight days in Scotland in early August

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
159 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Eight days in Scotland in early August

My wife and I are driving from Cockermouth in the Lakes District and have booked 3 nights at Mar Lodge Estate (Scottish National Trust) nr Braemar and four nights at the Uni at Aberdeen.

Our tastes and wants are simple! We are interested in exposure to scenic highland views and cultural events, whisky, real ale, sport (esp. Football) and Scottish Folk Music (pref in pubs). We like good food, pubs with ambience and value for money. We don't like driving for hours on end, cities. museums & churches!

Other than hill walking (my wife's ankle tendons are buggered after I dragged her over the Coast-to-Coast Walk a couple of years ago!), we would appreciate assistance with an itinerary.

We will be leaving Cockermouth, by car, early on the morning of 5th August and need to be back there in the evening (for late dinner) on 12th August, where we can unwind.

We don't really have anywhere that is a must-see, but have been told on TA that the Highland Games are at Ballater (12th August). Can we get back to Cockermouth if we go to this?

Crathie
Level Contributor
817 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Eight days in Scotland in early August

I was busy repying to your other thread, posted it and then found this.

Now I am not sure how much of what I had to say will be of use, especially with regards to walking, but have a good trip anyway.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
9,898 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eight days in Scotland in early August

The Football season is starting early next year so should be up and running whilst here, although the fixture list has not been decided you could take in an Aberdeen FC game at Pittrodrie around that time.

Ballater to Cockermouth for a late dinner on the evening of the 12th is I would say impossible unless of course your idea of a late dinner is midnight, assuming you would leave Ballater after the games finish around 5pm.

www.theaa.co.uk for route and times

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
159 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eight days in Scotland in early August

Duh!

Stuffed up on the date of the Ballater Games. I was told on TA that it was the 11th August but their web site was referring to 12 August ... however it hadn't been updated and was referring to 2010!!

As it is Thu 11th Aug, we will go there and back from Aberdeen and leave for Cockermouth the next day. Phew!

I am originally from NE England (a long time ago) and was working off a map of Scotland in my head! I THOUGHT Aviemore (where I had been as a teenager) and thus the Cairngorms, were on the WEST coast and thought we were booking into one place on the WEST coast and another on the EAST. I've actuially booked two places on the East Coast!

By luck it seems I have managed to book us into 2 places quite near each other and will use these as a base to explore the Cairngorms and the Dee and then Aberdeenshire.

While we are used to travelling long distances in Oz, I know it takes longer to get anywhere in the UK and I keep having to remind myself how big Scotland is! I think I'll leave the West Coast for another trip!

Further posts to the Aberdeen forum please.

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,528 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eight days in Scotland in early August

Hi Frodo,

We'll be staying in Ballater this JUne for 4 nights and I've done more than a little research in the area.

Mar Lodge Estates ought to be real nice, lots of outdoor and walking opps.

Braemar Castle looks great. Be aware that it is only open Sat/Sun, but you can walk up and sheck out the grounds anytime.

Further east, of course, you've got Balmoral Castle and further toward Aberdeen, you've got Crathes, Drum, Craigievar, Frasier - check the open days on each because a few are only 4 days a week. A little north are Balvanie, Huntly, Kildrummy, Leith Hall and Fyvie Castles.

As for distilleries, you;'ve got the Royal Lochinager (sp?) at Balmoral. You'll need to travel north over the mtns into Speyside for dozens of other choices.

Again tons of walking opportunities.

http://www.trekkingbritain.com/

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/

walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/braemar.shtml

Here is a link to a Highland ZGames discussion we had, somehwere towards the end is a link to the schudule for the games this year.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186485-i107-k3979…

Here is a link to a good castles discussion and a distilleries discussion.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186485-i107-k4144…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186485-i107-k4144…

Hope it helps.

Kevin

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Eight days in Scotland in early August

Kevin has thrown out lots of ideas.

I find the Undiscovered Scotland website marvellous as a source of ideas on things to do and see. Start with the map pages and click on the links for lots of information and photos. There is so much to do and see.

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/

6. Re: Eight days in Scotland in early August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 20:19