We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To reserve or not to reserve, that is the question.

Ohio
Level Contributor
306 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
To reserve or not to reserve, that is the question.

Our plans are shaping up for our tour of Scotland between May 21st and June 3rd. We will arrive in Edinburgh by train the evening of the 21st and spend two full days in Edinburgh before picking up a rental car in central Edinburgh on the morning of May 24th. The rooms in Edinburgh are already reserved and paid for.

So my question is this. We'd like not to reserve any rooms the rest of the trip with the exception of the night of June 2nd before we fly home on the 3rd. We'd like to just follow our nose and end up where we end up. Can we get a room for a night in Scotland, without too much hassle and too much expense. How easy will it be to find a room for $150/GBP 92 (maximum) per night on a consistent basis?

My plan would be to research various locations along the likely itinerary and have about 5 choices per location with phone numbers which I would have in a small notebook with me. Or is it a better plan to book rooms in advance?

Thanks for sharing your opinions and any insights you might have.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,465 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: To reserve or not to reserve, that is the question.

If you know where you are going there's no point in not booking ahead.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands
Level Contributor
17,905 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To reserve or not to reserve, that is the question.

May is normally a very busy time for the tourist industry in the Highlands and there is a holiday weekend at the end of May. I would suggest that you try and book in advance, which will also help you keep within budget as you can do your research rather than just having to take what is available..

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,477 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To reserve or not to reserve, that is the question.

If your visit coincides with a highland games or big wedding then you could easily find everything booked up for miles around, especially in less populated areas.

Crathie
Level Contributor
794 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: To reserve or not to reserve, that is the question.

Have to agree with the other replies and advise you to book ahead. As Alanrow says, if you know where you will be anyway, it makes sense. Otherwise you could arrive somewhere in the middle of a wedding weekend, or a week long golf tournament or walking event and be left trying to find somewhere.

With advance planning you might also be able to take advantage of any offers which your preferred accommodation providers may have. For example, a reduction for a stay of three nights or more.

5. Re: To reserve or not to reserve, that is the question.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 07:17