We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Glen Way

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
227 posts
233 reviews
Save Topic
Great Glen Way

Hello, after walking the West Highland Way last month my wife and I have decided to do the Great Glen Way in mid September. Has anybody recently done the walk that has any good information, I've read on book on the walk and found the information to be pretty poor. Our plan is to do the walk in four days and staying in B&B along the route

Day 1 Fort William to South Laggan

Day 2 South Laggan to Invermoriston

Day 3 Invermoriston - Drumnadrochit

Day 4 Drumnadrochit - Inverness

Any information and tips much appreciated.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
392 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Glen Way

We did the Great Glen Way a few years ago. I recall we took it a bit easier than you plan and spent a couple more days. You should find it easier going than the West Highland Way. There were courier companies for baggage, but we didn't know this and carried our own stuff. There are a couple of guides advertised on Amazon. We had the Rucksacks Reader Guide, which I thought was fine in spite of the bad reviews. The path is so well marked it's impossible to get lost anyway.

The big question is which direction to walk. We went from Inverness to Fort William, which gives you the best views down the lochs. On the other hand it's riskier as you are walking towards the weather. Most people start from Fort William, which is also the easier start. The parh gets bumpier towards Inverness.

australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great Glen Way

Hi I did the walk in August 2008 from Fort William to Inverness over 6 days There is a book The Great Glen Way by Paddy Dillion Any easy walk when compared to the West Highland Way Our walk was organized by Contours a UK based company who organised accommadation and luggage transfers on route The last day from Drumnadrochit to Inverness was 29ks I am 57 and not that fit" Walking from Fort William means you have the sun behind you with the prevailing wind Rainfall also tends to decrease markedly in this direction" However the route becomes more difficult with the higher and more remote stretches coming towards the end".> quotes from the book mentioned above. Another lovely walk is the Dales Way enjoy

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
227 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great Glen Way

Thanks for the replies, we have decided not to use the bag transporting companies as they are a bit expensive. Our plan is to carry a change of clothes and park our car in Invermoriston so we can pick up some clean gear at the end of day 2, it also mean that when we finish we only have to get back to Invermoriston to pick it up.

If the weather is as good as it was last month for the WHW I'm sure we will have a great time.

4. Re: Great Glen Way

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2012, 23:17