We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip to the Islands

Glasgow
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Road Trip to the Islands

Hi there,

I've read a few threads with people giving feedback on itineraries, and I'm just curious to do it for the trip I'm planning in July. If anything is too ambitious or if there are some great things to see on the way, let me know!

Day 1 - Drive Glasgow to Skiary guesthouse near Loch Hourn.

Day 2 - Walk near Loch Hourn

Day 3 - Drive from Skiary to Uig campsite on Skye, stopping at Glenshiel pony trekking and Eilean Donan castle

Day 4 - morning ferry to Tarbert on Harris, then up to Stornoway for the Highland Games until 6ish. Then drive to Uig Beach on the west of Lewis to camp.

Day 5 - See Calanis and the Blackhouses etc.

Day 6 - Drive to Amhuinsuidhe Castle Hotel on Harris, play tennis at Bunabhainneadar (http://mikeandpeggybriggs.co.uk/tennis.htm)

Day 7 - Walk/cycle to Huisinis and back

Day 8 - Visit south of Harris, then take afternoon ferry back to Skye, camping at Uig again.

Day 9 - Drive to Armadale for quad biking, then get the ferry over to Mallaig, and drive however far we can, stopping at Glenfinnan Viaduct on the way.

Day 10 - From wherever we've camped back home to Glasgow.

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Fife Coastal Path
Hiking & Camping Tours
Kingdom Guides
Walking Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Venture Caledonia
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,848 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip to the Islands

What a fantastic trip - I can't improve on that!

PS Can I come?

Glasgow
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip to the Islands

Erm, sure. Will you marry me? That's a pre-condition of my current travelling companion.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,848 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Trip to the Islands

Oh yes - I've just noticed your user name. There had to be a snag :-(

Btw, for your day 2 walk you're spoilt for choice, but the path heading west from Skiary, along Loch Hourn to Barisdale, is wonderful!

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
23,604 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Trip to the Islands

sounds perfect, congratulations and have a wonderful honeymoon :-)

5. Re: Road Trip to the Islands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2012, 05:20