We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Trip

San Diego...
Level Contributor
15 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Help with Trip

We are a family of 5 adults planning our first trip to Scotland and Ireland. We have nowhere near as much time as I would like, but would appreciate your help in maximizing the time we have. We are spending 2 1/2 days in Edinburgh, then renting a car at the airport and heading north. We want to see Huntly Castle, since it is our "family" castle. The Highlands in some form are a must. I would like to see Loch Ness, but don't need to spend a lot of time there. My questions are:

Rental car: I had heard about a company called 5th gear, but can't seem to find any mention on Trip Advisor. Has anyone used them? What company would you recommend for 7 passenger van rentals?

Accommodations: Would love to find a castle to stay in for our 3 nights. I was thinking about Glengarry Castle. Would that location be too remote to get around? Any other suggestions?

Sites: Is there a particular place you recommend in the Highlands to see? What other sites in that area are not to be missed? We have 2 full days plus the half day after our drive from Edinburgh. The forth day we are driving down to Glasgow, where we will spend the night and fly to Ireland the next morning.

I have been so impressed with the helpful and knowledgeable community here at Trip Advisor and look forward to all your suggestions.

Thanks for you help!

Betsy

Atlantic City, New...
Level Contributor
64 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Trip

My husband and I took a similar trip in March/April. We used Arnold Clark for the car and we were very happy with it - http://www.arnoldclarkrental.com/ (much better deal than the car in Ireland, be prepared!). I think that Glengarry Castle would be great, but maybe some natives could give you better advice on that. For both Scotland and Ireland, be conservative about how much you can see - it really does take much longer to get places than you would think being from Southern California...

San Diego...
Level Contributor
15 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with Trip

Thank you for the rental suggestion, had not heard of them. I have heard renting in Ireland can be a challenge... suggestions there?

I hear you on the getting around. I was sort of disappointed when my group wanted to spend more time in Edinburgh, because it means less time in Ireland. Two weeks is nowhere near enough to see much of either country, but hopefully enough for us to know where we want to come back to.

Were there any particular places in either country that you are very glad you didn't miss?

Thanks for your input.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,808 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with Trip

1. When is your trip?

2. Glengarry Castle is just a ruin - the hotel is a country house conversion which is in the same grounds. See http://www.glengarry.net/hotel.php. So staying there would not actually mean staying IN a castle.

3. However, as it is on Loch Ness it might be a suitable spot for you to stay. And the reviews here n TA are excellent, as you will no doubt already have noticed. It's about half a day's drive from Edinburgh to Huntly, so you could spend the afternoon there and then drive on to Invergarry in the evening.

Crathie
Level Contributor
838 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with Trip

Given that you will be visiting Huntly, I must recommend you pop into the Dean's of Huntly shortbread factory http://www.deans.co.uk/ if time allows. It is very easy to find and a good place to stock up on goodies to munch in the car, or take home for family and friends.

Atlantic City, New...
Level Contributor
64 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with Trip

One of my regrets in Ireland was that I got nervous and took the optional zero deductible insurance, which basically doubled the price. We had already had a week of driving practice in Scotland, so I should've taken the chance, lol! Also, they charged us in advance for the tank of gas that the car came with, and refunded it after we were home, so that stung a bit in terms of my budget. As far as things not to miss, in Scotland we really loved St. Andrews and Oban, and Edinburgh is spectacular. In Ireland, I would have stayed only one night in Dublin, and spent more time in Kinsale. Depending on the timing of your trip, I would call the Ring of Kerry and Dingle both not-to be missed. Let me know if you have any more questions - I could discuss that trip all day!

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,142 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with Trip

Hi Betsy - bet you are getting excited about your trip with all the planning there is to do...

I don't know Glengarry Castle so cannot comment other than to say I don't think its in too remote an area for visiting surrounding attractions.

One thing I will say is that if you are near Inverness you should try to visit Culloden Battlefield in order to get an understanding of the history of Scotland v. England...

www.nts.org.uk/culloden

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/inverness/…

Please also try to make the short hop skip and jump to Clava Cairns nearby(and you will have beaten me to it because I'm ashamed to say I still haven't been!!)

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/inverness/clavaca…

Does that help?

I don't know what time of year you are travelling but if money is no object and you want to stay in a real castle and its not when the Scottish Open is on (beginning of July) then this place may fit the bill - very close to Inverness.

http://www.castlestuart.com/

You will LOVE Edinburgh - we visit often and it never fails to enthrall me, so much history and beautiful architecture.

Have a great holiday - if you need more info just ask!

regards

Woody x

Edited: 12 June 2011, 21:10
7. Re: Help with Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 01:16