We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 day walk

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
2 day walk

I am suffering from a wealth of information and need some advice. My husband and I are hoping to do a two day walk in Scotland from b&b to another town and b&b. We only have a short time in Scotland so are hoping to focus on just one area. We'll be taking the West Highland Line up to Mallaig so I thought that might be a good jumping off point for our walk but I'm having trouble finding information on multi-day walks in the area. Does anyone have any suggestions? We're decent hikers so are hoping to cover some ground (15-20mi/day) but we'll also have three weeks worth of stuff so nothing too strenuous. Travel information to trailheads is appreciated. I'm also open to BnBs in the area that help set all this up.

Thanks!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,836 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 day walk

Why not walk part of the West Highland Way? Plenty of information online about the route and accommodation. EG, walk from Crianlarich to Bridge of Orchy or Fort William.

Mallaig is fairly remote and I'm not aware of many trails around there.

Or, pop over to Skye which is a walking paradise.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 day walk

Good point. Any thoughts on West Highland vs. Great Glen Way? We love remote and un-crowded

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,126 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 day walk

I've done the West Highland Way and it was terrific. I haven't done the Great Glen Way, but one or two people who have tell me it's not quite as good.

But if I had two days to spare to do some walking around Mallaig, I'd probably be looking at Knoydart, the remote peninsula which is reached by passenger ferry from Mallaig. It's prime walking territory, and you could have a great time exploring there for a couple of days, maybe overnighting at Sourlies Bothy at the head of Loch Nevis.

Wetherby
Level Contributor
209 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 day walk

Information on Long Distance Walks in the UK can be found on the Website of the Long Distance Walkers Association www.ldwa.org.uk

That being said as you probably know the UK has abundant rights of way for walkers, and also many upland areas are "open access" which means you can walk anywhere in those areas. Detailed walking maps are available for all the UK,and are advisable to carry with you (along with a Compass!) Visit www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk. Waterproof "Explorer" Maps can be purchased at about GBP 14 each (paper versions are about GBP 8) They are 1: 25,000 scale (2.5 inches to 1 mile).

Have a great Vacation!

5. Re: 2 day walk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 21:16